- Fashion and Beauty
Why Shouldn't You Brush Your Hair When It Is Wet?
The average human has 100,000 hairs on their head. And whilst it can grow approximately 0.3mm per day, we shed our hair in a random manner. At any given time, a random number of hairs will be in any one of the three stages of hair growth.
We all have different colored and textured hair. Shiny hair is said to be a sign of healthy hair and when hair is damaged due to coloring or other treatments, it can often break more easily and look dull.
The type of hair that each person has, whether it is curly or straight, can also affect how shiny it is. The natural oil on our hair, sebum, can cover straight hair more easily than curly hair, which is why straight hair can appear shinier.
How well you care for your own hair from the moment it emerges from the root plays a role in how healthy it looks. Everyone may have their own individual hair care needs, however there is one common rule and it relates to why you shouldn't brush your hair when it is wet!
Why You Shouldn’t Brush Your Hair When It’s Wet
Here are the most commonly known reasons as to why you should never brush wet hair:
- Hair is at its weakest when it's wet.
- Brushing wet hair promotes more hair breakage, split ends and it can weaken the hair further, particularly if you have chemically treated hair or curly/wavy hair.
- Wet hair is more easily damaged than dry hair.
- Wet hair is highly vulnerable to damage.
- Wet hair swells and because brushes have lots of teeth they are likely to get caught in a tangle and pull it to breaking point.
Wide Tooth Comb - Safe To Comb Wet Hair
"...comb your hair when it is wet and do not brush it until it is dry..."
Can You Comb Wet Hair?
If you hair is tangled, curly or wavy and it needs to be 'brushed', the best way to achieve this is to comb it.
- Use a wide-toothed comb
- Ensure it has smooth teeth or is labelled as a detangling comb
- Use leave in conditioner unless it causes your hair to become too oily
- Work your way from the bottom up.
- Take it slow.
When Is The Best Time To Brush Your Hair?
The best time to brush your hair is when it is is almost dry. Whether you prefer to towel try, air dry or use a hair dryer, a wide bristled brush on dry hair is the safest match.
If you have very curly hair and like to style it with your curls, you should never bother to brush it anyway. Always use a comb, particularly one with wide teeth. If you brush, besides damaging it, you will break up your beautiful curls.