Why wear Navaratna Jewelry?
The term “Navaratna” means “nine gems”. There are nine gems that form the Navaratna and this concept has lot of historical significance. When it comes to popularity, Navaratna has been renowned in many cultures (Burmese, Indonesian and Thai) and has been mentioned in various religions (like Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism and Buddhism).
While, earlier only Asians were fond of Navaratna jewelry but, nowadays this form of jewelry has gained world-wide popularity. Navaratna jewelry is believed to bring luck and prosperity to the person wearing it.
This jewelry style symbolizes the Solar System with a ruby in the center (representing the sun) encircled by the other 8 planetary gemstones. The combination of these nine gems is considered very scared and regal.
Following are the 9 gemstones of Navaratna Jewelry:
- Ruby (Sun): Symbol of health, wisdom, wealth and success in love.
- Diamond (Venus): It is placed in the east direction. Diamond is believed to enhance the name, fame and creative talents of the wearer.
- Pearl (Moon): Worn to give strength to the heart.
- Red Coral (Mars): Coral is placed in the south. It instills courage and also helps to cure blood related diseases.
- Hessonite or Garnet (moon's ascending node, i.e. “Rahu” in Hindu mythology): It is in the southwest direction. This stone fulfills ambitions, improves social relationships and protects the wearer from sudden misfortunes.
- Blue sapphire (Saturn): It is placed in the west. Blue sapphire removes evil effects of Saturn. It’s long been the favorite among priests and kings, who considered it symbol of wisdom and purity.
- Cat's Eye (moon's descending node, i.e. “Ketu” in Hindu mythology): It protects its wearer from enemies, mysterious dangers and diseases.
- Yellow sapphire (Jupiter): It is placed in the north direction. This stone is one of the most widely used gem that help achieve success in career and stability in love-life.
- Emerald (Mercury): It is placed in northeast and is believed to protect against illnesses, physical danger and evil.
Why Navaratna is preferred over single gemstone?
For wearing individual gemstones for a continuous period, you need to consult a gemologist. Individual gem of particular weight can be worn only according to your astrological chart. It is a very popular belief that some stones like Blue sapphire do not suit everyone. If worn as per astrological chart it can turn a pauper into a king and if not favorable it can have serious adverse effect. This stone has many “rags to riches” stories attached to it. It is believed to work wonders for Amitabh Bachchan, he has been seen sporting two blue sapphire rings.
On the other hand, Navaratna jewelry brings only positive effects and you don’t have to refer astrological chart to wear one. When these gems are in constant touch with your skin, they are believed to generate positive energy that result in healing effects on the body.
Its nine colors compliment all skin tones and matches well with all your outfits. Navaratna jewelries are colorful and chunky and make a great style statement. Navaratna necklaces and bracelets are also quite popular.
Things to Remember
- Navaratna is generally worn as a ring or as a pendant. The correct way of wearing a Navaratna ring is by wearing the blue sapphire gem representing Saturn pointing towards the body on the ring finger.
- Stones used for astrological reasons may have some natural inclusions, but these stones should not have any color enhancement, heat treatment and cracks.