ChristinS profile image 97

My 4 year old has severely chapped lips/chin and won't leave them alone?

We have used carmex, coconut oil with oregano oil mixed in, and burts bees. Nothing seems to work for long because he wont stop licking his mouth so as soon as it starts to clear it comes back. Coconut and oregano oil heal it nicely, but not fully before he starts licking his mouth again. Anyone else have a kid who does this and how do you break the habit? I'm worried he'll get an infection, they are all cracked and terrible looking :(

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I thought the oregano oil mixed with coconut would be gross enough to stop it but it wasn't lol. I like the idea of garlic - stinky, but probably effective hopefully, I'll give it a shot. thanks :)

ExpectGreatThings profile image84

ExpectGreatThings says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

Thanks, I don't use Vaseline because it's a petroleum by-product and the coconut oil has the same effect and actually has healing properties to boot. Vaseline is a good barrier, but I don't think it actually heals it

MizBejabbers says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

Thanks I will try the vinegar dilution and see if it helps if it flares up again. The coconut and oregano oil is clearing it up nicely now. I think his is nervous habit or something maybe.

twig22bend profile image78

twig22bend says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

He's well hydrated he drinks water and juice all the time so I don't think that's it, I think it's a nervous habit. It's finally clearing a bit with the coconut/oregano/garlic oil blend. It's yucky so he doesn't lick it lol

tobimaya profile image59

Maya Morita (tobimaya) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I agree with you on the sugar scrubs but not on vaseline. That is a petroleum byproduct and does nothing to heal skin. Coconut oil is natural and actually has skin healing properties and nutrients. Sugar is an awesome scrub though! :)