MarleneB profile image 95

What does it mean when people wear a different color nail polish on their ring finger?

I'm starting to see this a lot. People will wear a brightly colored nail polish on their ring finger. It's usually a deep color like black, super red, or hot pink. Does the choice of color have a meaning? Does the choice of finger have a meaning? Is it a fashion statement? A fad? What do you think?

Aime F profile image83

Aime (Aime F) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

I do agree that it looks really neat. In fact, I was going to do it, but then hesitated because I didn't want to innocently send out a message I did not intend.

writerjrose profile image82

SJ Rose (writerjrose) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

writerjrose, I like your explanations. And, since most of the women I have seen are single, I'm inclined to believe the last statement that it may be a way for single women to identify their dating status.

tlcs profile image81

Trudy Cooper (tlcs) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

Thank you for your comment, tlcs. That is good reasoning. It could be as simple as a way of getting away from the same old routine.

connorj profile image79

John Connor (connorj) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

Oh my gosh, something that looks so cool is being used for such an ominous statement. Oh well, I guess I had better stick to one color for all of my nails. I wouldn't want to call attention to myself and be arrested for conspiracy.

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

That could be the most true reason, because I normally see the different nail color on the third finger of the left hand... the "ring" finger.

Jasmeetk profile image74

Jasmeet Kaur (Jasmeetk) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 15 months ago

Thank you, Jasmeet. Mixing it up a little... sounds like a fun way to wear nail polish, bringing attention to the art. I like it!

Kriz Smith profile image61

Kriz Smith says

5 weeks ago
  • MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 5 weeks ago

Thank you Kriz. I was just wondering if it had a deep hidden meaning. As an accent feature it is really cool.

Tom Ramstack profile image58

Tom Ramstack says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

Color blind! That's indeed a fun answer to consider.