- Fashion and Beauty»
- Men's Hygiene & Grooming
Basic Hair Care for Men
The subject of hair care used to be a topic exclusively within the domain of women. Not anymore. Men visit hair salons just as frequently as women these days. And why shouldn't they? Men have hair, too. And they also have serious hair care needs that require some serious TLC, just like women do.
If you're a guy, you should keep in mind that your hair is structurally different from that of a woman's. Men's hair is typically coarser than women's hair. Given that, how should you, as a man, take care of your hair?
- Wash your hair properly. Whether you're male or female, you have to wash your hair if only for the fact that greasy hair is simply gross. But because you're male, you have to make sure that the shampoo and conditioner you use are specially designed for male hair. American Crew is one such hair care brand that caters to men. You should shampoo your hair only once a week, though, to prevent it from getting too dry. Instead of daily shampooing, wash your hair with conditioner on days when you're not shampooing it. Conditioning your hair will keep it soft, smooth and manageable.
- Don't go overboard with styling products. It's up to you if you want to use pomade, styling gel, hairspray or mousse to style your hair. But whatever styling product you use, just keep in mind that a little goes a long way. You only need a dollop of product to apply to your hair. If you put too much product on your hair, you will end up having a greasy and unkempt look, which defeats the purpose of styling your hair in the first place.
- Pay attention to the SPF of your hair care products. Exposure to ultraviolet rays can damage your hair and harm your scalp. So, as much as possible, make sure that the hair care products you use have a sun protection factor of at least 30. This will help neutralize the effects of UV rays on your skin and hair. You especially need to pay extra attention to SPF if you have a receding hairline or a bald spot. That's because you have less hair to shield your scalp and head against UV rays.
- Keep your hair trimmed. Just like with women, your hair is your crowning glory too. And no matter how neatly you dress, it won't matter if you don't trim your hair properly. A regular visit to your barber will take care of your hair trimming needs. But if you feel like saving a few bucks on trips to the barbershop, you can try trimming your own hair. It's easy enough to do. If you do decide to trim your hair, though, make sure that you use professional-grade tools like Wahl clippers.
- Wear headgear that is just the right size for your head. Wearing hats, headbands or bandanas that are too tight around your head is bad not just because it gives you unsightly hat-hair. The friction and pressure caused by wearing headgear that is too tight for your head can cause permanent hair loss or alopecia. The same applies with too-tight ponytails.
Hair care is not just a concern for women. Men need to pay attention to their hair's needs, too. A man with well-maintained hair will always look attractive. So, make sure you take good care of your hair.