Batik Kaftan Malaysia
Batik is one the most well known handicraft in Malaysia. Batik refers to the process of wax-resist painting and dye painting to produce a multi-coloured intricate design to fabrics. The word "batik" is believed to be related to the Malay word "titik" which means "point", "dot" or "drop".
The origin of batik is shrouded in mystery because fabric disintegrates, making it impossible for historians to pinpoint when the technique was first discovered. The earliest evidence can be traced back to China and India, from which batik then travelled to the rest of the world.
The two main types of batik produced in Malaysia today are:
1. Handrawn batik - designs were drawn on fabric with hot liquid wax, using a metal object called canting. When the wax outlines are done, the brushes are used to paint dyes within the outlines. The use of brushes allows for the creation of shaded and multi-hued designs.
2. Block-printed - a copper block or sometimes a wooden stamp with artistically patterned bottom is used. The block is dipped into wax and press printed onto the fabric, which is then dip-dyed. The wax will then be removed by boiling and batik with single or multi color is produced.
The beauty of hand drawn batik is derived from its artists' creativity and imagination. A canting (small pen-like brass container) are filled with hot-melted wax. Like a pen, canting is used to hand-drawn design onto a white fabric. The expertise of the artist will be demonstrated by the speed and gracefulness of their hand in drawing up motives usually flora. This hand drawn process ensure each piece is a masterpiece of its own.
Colouring Process - Manual colouring is done to retain the high quality of handrawn batik. Each enclosed area (defined by the wax) will be painted with suitable colours to highlight and complement the design. After the colouring, the batik is allowed to dry.
Dewaxing Process - After the coloured batik fabric has dried, it will be soaked in a fixer solution (silikat) for 8 hours. The long soak is required so that the colours are permanatly retained.
Beautiful Handrawn Batik Kaftan - Source: www.batikkaftancrafts.comClick thumbnail to view full-size
Which batik products you like best?
I am most interested in :-
Batik Tube Sarong Pareos - Our online selection, perfect as beachwear, quilt material, dress etc.Click thumbnail to view full-size
My BatikKaftanCrafts Online Gallery
Our online BatikKaftanCrafts.com online store offers quality Batik Sarongs and Kaftans products from as low as USD 25 nett - no hidden shipping fee, logistic or other fees. That's all you need to pay as we offer free shipping right to your doorstep. Visit our online store at http://www.batikkaftancrafts.com now!
- Click here to browse BatikKaftanCrafts.com
. Quality with competitive pricing for Handmade Batik Kaftans and Sarongs from exotic Asia. - Pay securely with your debit or credit card via Pay Pal. - Handpick Handmade or Printed Batik Sarong. - Updated choice of Batik Sarongs monthly. - Competiti
Blocked Printed Batik
A block with specific design is first dipped into hot melted wax before it is printed on the white cloth. After the design is completed for the whole length of cloth, it would be dyed in specific colour of choiced.
To add more design, another block will be used and the process will be repeated. Blocked batik may take up from a single design and dyeing up to three times of the process. More process mean higher quality and higher proce.
Dewaxing Process - After the printed batik is done, it is boiled for dewaxing. The printed batik will then be rinsed and hang to dry.
Cool Block Batik Kaftan - Source: www.batikkaftancrafts.comClick thumbnail to view full-size
All things batik
The versatility of batik has been translated into different type of products such as:
1) Batik Clothing (4 meters)
- this type of handrawn batik is very popular with Malaysian ladies and usually made into the Baju Kurung or Baju Kebaya (traditional dress for Malays)
2) Batik Sarong
- a popular product of block printed batik. It is usually used by Malay ladies as skirts when at home. Also sometimes used as cradle for sleeping babies.
3) Ready Made Batik Dresses
- Lots of different type of ready made batik dresses be it ready made ladies dresses and my favourite kaftans.
4) Men's Shirts
- formal long slevees men's shirt, casual short slevees batik shirts or unisex batik shirts / sweatshirts.
5) Shawls & Pareos
6) Soft Furnishings
- Includes pillows covers, table runners, tissue covers and such. Also batik bedcovers.
- Soft and textured bags. Shoulder bags, purses, coin / lipstick holders.
- Designs covering for shoes.
9) House Decorations
- Wall panelling or painting (framed batik sarong is very nice)
10) The Possibilities are endless
However, the best batik produk in terms of wearability and value for money is Batik Kaftans. Kaftans is a full-length garment with elbow-length or long sleeves. A westernized version of this garment consisting of a loose, usually brightly colored waist-length or ankle-length tunic.
For Malaysia, kaftans are wearable due to cool floaty feeling by its loose form in hot sweltering heat of the tropical weather. Different kind of fabrics are used from silk, rayon, cotton to viscose. Florals and abstract designs heavily influence the kaftans from Malaysia making it more of a funwear.
Please visit our online store, BatikKaftanCrafts.com ensures the latest trends of authentic batik kaftans, at reasonable price range between USD20 - USD35 (including postage). We are also on Facebook, click here and be our Facebook Friends.
Handrawn Batik Demonstration and Fashion Show
Good demo on handrawn batik and batik products by one of the batik house.
Good reference for all things Batik Malaysia.
- Noor Arfa Batik >> Noor-Arfa.com
Best Malaysian batik brand. Noor Arfa is premium Malaysia Batik House.
- Official Portal for Perbadanan Kemajuan Kraftangan Malaysia (Malaysian Handicraft Development Corpor
The Malaysian government agencies for local handicrafts including batik.
- Tourism Malaysia Official Website
Link for Tourism Malaysia - what's interesting in Malaysia, Truly Asia.