Managing Chapped Lips Naturally: Home Remedies for Cracked Lips
Chapped or cracked lips are characterized by dryness, flakiness and soreness. Common symptoms include: dryness, burning, tenderness, cracking, peeling, and pain. occasionally, there may be bleeding too.
Minor dryness can be treated by eliminating the cause of the dryness or by applying certain home remedies. Though, if inflammation and bleeding is observed, it is advised that you discuss with your physician immediately, to rule out infection.
What Causes Chapped Lips? Cracked Lips Causes
Chapping of the lips is a condition that is frequently seen, especially during winters and during the dry weather months:
- Dry, cold weather is the most common cause
- Dehydration and over exposure to severe temperatures causes dryness too
- Lip biting can trigger chapping too
- Deficiency of vitamin B2 is an important dietary cause
- Ill-fitting dentures
- Chapped lips also occur due to infections, allergies, certain drugs, influenza and common cold and other medical problems.
Home Remedies for Chapped Lips: Managing Cracked Lips Naturally
It is a universal view that Chap Sticks cure chapped, cracked and dry lips. On the other hand, the chemicals and preservatives used in a chap stick can enter the lip tissue through the cracks and can cause infections and allergic reactions. The following home remedies are great for treating chapped lips naturally.
- Honey: Honey is one of the most effective home remedies for chapped lips. It speedily heals the cracks and prevents bleeding and infection. It fills in fissures and wards off dryness. It is the best natural moisturizer. Generously apply honey over the lips and leave on for 15 - 20 minutes. Repeated applications help to heal the cracks quickly.
- Coconut oil, olive oil and Aloe Vera: A mixture of 1 spoon of coconut oil, 1 spoon of olive oil and 2 spoons of Aloe Vera is an ideal remedy for dry, chapped lips. This blend lubricates the lips, treats flakiness and dryness, keeps the lips moist and hydrated, and treats burning and soreness effectively. Aloe Vera soothes the tissue of the skin, coconut oil is the most powerful lubricating agent, while olive oil supplies vitamin E to the lip, making it look glossy and healthy.
- Cucumber: Rub a slice of cucumber over the lips. Cucumber is soothing and offers swift and efficient healing of cracked lips. It reduces inflammations and eases burning and pain. It will prevent the lips from bleeding.
Dehydration is known to cause and aggravate cracked lips. Thus, drink adequate amounts of water per day. It is recommended that you drink a minimum of 2 and a half liters of water per day.