★ The Coolest Tattoo Ideas | Best Unusual & Creative Tattoos ★
My Favourite Tattoos PLUS Lots Of Inspiration
I love the idea of using skin as a personal canvas for permanent art, and so I've created this page to display the best tattoos which I have found whilst browsing online galleries. Art is of course subjective so I'm sure people will disagree with some of my choices :-)
I have also listed a few links which I have found the best for browsing the most artistic tattoos and getting inspiration for your own. I like creative, classy and unique tattoos, and perhaps some with humor too.
I hope you enjoy my picks!
Floral Side Piece
Tips & Info
- What tattoo to get? People will always tell you to get a tattoo that means something to you, and I personally agree with that because I think it's a lot easier to become bored with an image that has no meaning. It obviously doesn't have to be a deep meaning; it could be your favorite song lyrics or something you've drawn yourself. When you have something in mind, print it, cut the design out and hold it onto the area where you want it to go to make sure you like the position. You could also draw the design onto yourself with washable pen to try to get used to having a mark on your skin. Give yourself time to consider the design and if you're not bored of the idea after at least a few months and you're absolutely sure, then go for it :)
It's definitely not a good idea to walk into a tattoo parlour when drunk or on a whim and choose a random flash image from the typical selection provided. Names are also tricky unless they are names of your kids - it's best not to choose boyfriend or girlfriend names. Also, if you are planning on getting something in another language, triple check that it means what you think it means!
- What about the pain? Tattoos are made by a needle repeatedly moving up and down against the skin, pushing ink down under the surface by about 1/16". The pain is likened to scratching sunburn or bee stings and although it may be completely bearable to start with you have to take into consideration that this can go on for hours depending on the size of the design. I wouldn't suggest getting a big tattoo first - check your pain barrier with a small one first.
The most painful places to have a tattoo are bony areas like the ribs, spine, collar bone or hip, as well as sensitive areas like the back of the knees or the inner elbow. Least painful should be the upper arm, bum, thigh and other fleshy areas. Different people have different experiences though.
- Getting the tattoo: The most important thing is finding the right artist. Recommendations from trusted friends and family are a good idea, and you should also visit as many as you can to check they are sanitary and friendly. Always check the artist's work very closely to make sure the quality is good. This is your time to become an art critic! You don't want to see bad art, or jagged rather than smooth lines. It's always a good idea to choose an artist who does tattoos in the style you want. For instance, some specialize in text, some in realistic images, some in fantasy or animals etc. Always eat a good meal and hydrate yourself before getting the tat. With regards to price, they usually cost at least $50, with the cost rising as the tattoo size gets bigger, or the artist gets more popular/renowned.
- Where to get the tattoo? Always think about the future when deciding on the position of your tat...and I don't just mean about what it will look like when you're older like most people will warn you about (although it's probably best not to put it anywhere that's going to sag too much!) The most important point to think about will be jobs. Tattoos on show are often disallowed in many jobs, and in job interviews they may prove a hindrance. You really don't want a tattoo to damage your career prospects, so even if right now you think you're going to be an artist forever so it doesn't matter where you have your tattoo, if you later decide to be a doctor/MP/model etc then it may be a problem.
If you are a woman who may want kids in the future, then it would be better to avoid tummy tats as they will stretch during pregnancy and distort the image.
Click here for a beginner's guide to getting a tattoo.
Top-Rated Tattoo Books
A huge collection of high quality photos showcasing fresh and cool tattoos from a variety of different artists.
The 1,000 designs in this book cover most, if not all of the popular tat themes that people choose; such as devils, flowers, pin-ups, skulls and stars.
For admirers of the art of tattooing, this book displays classic vintage motifs that adorned sailors, rebels and criminals in times gone by.
A book filled with a massive amount of colorful flash art in categories such as tribal, nautical and hearts.
An interesting background on the origin of tattoos, going back to the Ancient Egyptians and finishing in the modern day. There are also many photos of great tattoos included for inspiration.
Geeky Hem-B Molecule
Camera Diagram Tattoo
Banksy Graffiti Tattoo
Tattoo Photo Galleries & Inspiration
- We Heart It
My favourite gallery for the most creative ideas.
- Women's Back Tattoos
Display of a wide range of designs.
- Geek Tattoos
For the nerds-at-heart.
- I LOVE TATTOO Group
Search for more tattoos in Flickr too for ideas.
- Impressive & Eye-Catching Tattoos
Lots of unusual and fun ideas.
- Typographic Tattoos
Lots of text tattoos with interesting backstories.
- Tattoos by Anyone
Blog displaying some great and unique ideas.
- Bird Tattoos
Inspiration for pretty bird designs.
- Amanda Wachob
Amazing tattoo art that looks like paint.
- F*** Yeah Tattoos
Thousands of tattoo pictures to look at.
- Fabric Inspired Designs
For sewers, crafters and those who love fabric.
- Make Art Into a Tattoo
A nice idea for a tattoo is a personal doodle, illustration or favourite piece of art.
- Science Themed Tattoos
Some fun ideas for super science geeks.
- Art is Forever
A set of art inspired doodles become tattoos.
Search through the huge collection of the best photos on the web.
- 60 Best Men's Tats in 2015
A neat collection of smart and modern examples.
- Hand Tattoos
Unusual finger tatts - I've not seen any like this before!