- Fashion and Beauty
Kathryn Moore: Dogstar Tattoo
Inspiring Heart and Spirit with Ink
- Kathryn Moore is the owner and feature artist at Dogstar Tattoo in Durham, NC. She is a phenomenal artist who specializes in custom work that portrays the emotional importance of the piece and is perfectly designed to fit the wearer's body. Kathryn has the innate ability to translate her client's requests and interests into an wearable work of art.
- Kathryn is a Linchpin for her contribution to the transformation of the tattoo industry, education in the field, and her ability to provide depth of heart and spirit in each piece.
The History and Philosophy of Dogstar Tattoo
- Kathryn Moore graduated from Carnegie Mellon with a degree in Fine Arts. She followed that up with a certification as a Flight Instructor and taught for many years in Durham. Kathryn decided to go back to her artistic roots and began an apprenticeship in tattooing. Soon after that she opened her own studio.
- Dogstar Tattoo opened its doors on Ninth Street in Durham, NC in 1997. At that time it was one of the very few female-owned tattoo studios in the U.S. She had worked in the industry for a few years when she decided to open a shop with a healthier environment than the ones she had already encountered. Dogstar is a drug-free shop and Kathryn accepts employees based on their skill-sets and portfolios regardless of gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. Compensation for all employees would be based on the work, not gender. That is was not a common practice 13 years ago. An all-inclusive, accepting environment is the corporate mission at Dogstar Tattoo.
Custom, Unique Artwork
- Kathryn specializes in custom tattoo designs. She trys to make each and every design as specific to the individual as possible. "I really try to view it from their perspective. What is the piece saying to them, or doing, or representing? Sometimes it's really not that much, and that's what you perform. But if people really want to get in depth, and the idea has all these personal layers, I try to address all of those to the best of my ability. Keeping in mind that I have to create a tattoo that is going to age gracefully."
Quan Yin Backpiece
The History of Tattooing - Evidence of tattooing has been found on mummies from the Ice Age! Find out all about the fascinating history of skin art.
Originally published in 1989, this ground-breaking ethnographic exploration of tattooing - and the art world surrounding it - covers the history, anthropology, and sociology of body modification practices; the occupational experience of the tattooist; the process and social consequences of becoming a tattooed person; and the prospects of "serious" tattooing becoming an accepted art form.
Wearing The Artwork
- Placement and positioning of the tattoo is vital. "I don't see the image as being separate from the person," says Kathryn. "It's of primary importance to me that a tattoo fits the body, how the person moves, how they're going to wear it and how it's going to age. To me that's key. I really don't like to take an image and just stick it on."
Tattooing as a Personal Ritual
- I asked Kathryn if there is any one particular theme or style of art she prefers to work with. "I don't think there's imagery that I can nail down as one thing that I love to do, but what I do love is to assist people with a stated goal. This could be a spiritual transition, a mile-marker, the grieving process, or empowerment symbols."
The Deeper Significance of Tattooing - Throughout history tattooing has been used as a method to connect with the Divine!
Professor John Rush outlines the processes and procedures of these radical physical alterations, showing their function as rites of passage, group identifiers, and mechanisms of social control. He explores the use of pain for spiritual purposes, such as purging sin and guilt, and examines the phenomenon of accidental cuts and punctures as individual events with sometimes-profound implications for group survival. Spiritual Tattoo finds a remarkable consistency in body modifications from prehistory to the present, suggesting the importance of the body as a sacred geography from both social and psychological points of view.
Tattooing as a Personal Exploration
- From the Dogstar website: "The people who envision a tattoo as an expression of the inner search or understanding, their connection to the universe, will hopefully discover that this shop has been opened to allow that search and expression to emerge through the tattoos produced by our artists. So if you discover your inner path and want to immortalize it in a visual representation on the surface of your skin, you will find, at Dogstar, a place that will help you realize your vision."
- - Kathryn Moore
Tattooing as Personal Artwork
- Any final thoughts? Kathryn replied, "I think frequently of my stay on this planet in a historical context and feel lucky that I've been able to be in the tattooing industry as it has really grown and blossomed into and art form."
Mechanical Hand Tattoo
Women and Tattooing - Tattooing has provided a new means for expressing & experiencing the Feminine!
Life. Beauty. Womanhood.
That's what tattoos today are all about. Join the women of Chick Ink in this celebration of the tattoos that grace our bodies, tell our stories, and mark forever the significant moments of our lives. Because if you're a woman with a tattoo, you're woman enough for anything.
Dogstar on the Web! - Keep updated on Kathryn's activites at Dogstar!
- Dogstar Tattoo
The Website for Kathryn's Studio with Online Portfolios
- Dogstar Tattoo On Twitter!
Follow the latest news form the Durham, NC tattoo studio!
- Tattoos Create Lasting Memory
Kathryn was a major contributor to a master's Thesis on tattooing. This is an article highlighting the Thesis Study and Kathryn's contribution as an expert in the field.
- Have you ever visited Dogstar Tattoo? Have you worked with Kathryn? Have you had an experience with a fantastic Tattoo Artist? Share your experience!
Tattoo Reference Links
- If you have been considering a tattoo, here are a few links to articles describing how to select your tattoo, what the tattooing process is like, and how to care for your new piece of artwork!
- The Tattooing Process
What is the tattooing experience going to be like? What should I expect?
- How To Choose a Tattoo Design?
"While everyone knows that 'a tattoo is for life' and all that, many people still make an impulsive decision. Choosing the right design needs a lot of thought. If not, you could well end up regretting it for years to come."
- Deciding on a Tattoo
Another great article outlining some things to consider when deciding to get a tattoo.
- How to Select a Tattoo Artist
Finding the right tattoo artist is one of the most important steps in your tattoo process. The right artist will be able to customize your idea, have a style you prefer, and leave you with a work of art that makes you smile. The wrong artist will lea
- After-Care of Your Tattoo
How you treat your brand new tattoo is vital to its appearance and longevity. Take the time to plan ahead and call your artist if you have any concerns post-tattoo.
Linchpin, the book
Seth's new book is all about the people we can't live without. The Linchpins. People like Kathryn Moore: Dogstar Tattoo.