- Fashion and Beauty»
Emerald green - this year's color
The fashion gurus have decided - emerald green for this year
My friend Caroline, who is a top fashion editor in at a London magazine, tells me that Pantone ® has declared that the fashion color of the year is emerald green. And what a lovely color it is. I don't know about you, but it's a bit impractical for me to go and change my wardrobe every time the gurus pronounce a new color to be in fashion. But that doesn't mean that we can't make the most of it by using carefully-chosen accessories.
By using a variety of inexpensive items, an outfit can look completely up to the minute.
By using accessories, outfits can be completely transformed. One of the most useful items in a girl's wardrobe in the 'little black dress' and one of the reasons for this is that it can be accessorized so well. Or a simple outfit of black pants with a black t-shirt can be a completely fashionable outfit, thanks to a few well-chosen, thoughtful and inexpensive additions.
A little emerald green goes a long way. Use it sparingly to avoid looking like a leprechaun. A green cardigan or jacket, like the one above, needs to be very carefully accessorized.
It is PANTONE 17-5641 that has been selected.
How to wear emerald green
We love the casual look shown above and on the right. Wear an emerald green cardigan with:
- A white t-shirt or tank. They are timeless pieces and completely essential in your wardrobe. Think James Dean
- Skinny jeans. Like the white t-shirt, these never date and are a classic
- A brown leather belt - another timeless accessory
- Sultry sunglasses
- We love the silver loop to hold the sunglasses - practical and stylish
- Wear silver hoop earrings and a silver bracelet with just a touch of the emerald colour
Red always makes green pop but needs to be used very sparingly. We suggest that red nails look terrific with this outfit. Try a matching red lipstick too.
We love the base garment in the outfit you see above - that lovely emerald green cardigan.
As you can see on the right, it's available in several other colours too.
We adore the casual and unstructured look.That makes this garment perfect for casual wear.
- Large scarves and shawls are an incredibly useful accessory as they can be used in so many ways. They look good on dressed-up occasions and are equally at home used to keep you warm when you're on the go during the day or at work.
- Belts can completely change the look of an outfit. Because belts come in so many styles, it can be confusing but the best choice is a simple colored belt that will never go out of style.
- Few of us wear hats these days as part of formal wear but we do wear soft or knitted hats during cool weather. The classic beret is a hat that never goes out of style and a selection is useful in any wardrobe.
- Bags can be expensive but a less expensive version is a great way to add this season's color to your outfit. Choose a style that won't look dated in a few years time and even an inexpensive bag will be used often.
- Knitwear is a great way to add color. A cardigan is a good choice because this has the same functionality as a sweater but can also take the place of a jacket. They also look great casually thrown over your shoulders.
- There's no need to spend a lot of money to accessorize your outfits using jewelry. And yet jewelry pieces can add a touch of fashionable color which is subtle, yet effective.
An accessory we love
A stylish shawl, a clutch and a knitted garment are all you need to bring your outfits completely up to date with this year's hottest green. We particularly like the stylish bag shown below.
Jewelry for her
Take it a step further with beautiful elegant jewelry. These pieces are perfect to accessorize in the most up to date color but yet they are timeless styles that you'll be wearing in years to come.
Did you know? Emerald facts
- Ireland is often called The Emerald Isle. This is because the weather in Ireland (rain!) creates a beautiful array of lush, verdant foliage.
- If you haven't watched The Wizard of Oz for a while, you might have forgotten about Emerald City where everything is green.
- The color is associated with many holidays and celebrations, such as Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day (Ireland again!)
- Symbolically green represents growth, new beginnings and abundance.
- The color is considered to be a color that promotes good health. Color studies over the years have shown that the color has a calming, soothing effect.
- In Feng Shui, use green in the east, southeast and southern areas of your home. It should be avoided in the north however. You have been warned :)
More fashion ideas
- Reversible Clothing: Perfect for Travel
Do you always pack too much when you're going on a trip? In this article, a top fashion editor shows you how to pack light but still have multiple outfits. The answer is to use reversible clothing.
- Travel wear for women in business
It's been proved in studies that most people over-pack when they travel. But it can be easy to travel light with these tips and suggested products from a top London fashion editor.
- Beautiful jacquard sweaters
Jacquard sweaters and jackets are a definite fashion investment. They are completely timeless and will never date. The high quality means that they will last. See a fashion editor's selections.