Hada Labo Lotion: The Japanese Skin Care Product That's Crazy Popular in Asia
Introducing the Hadalabo Lotion, Japan's #1 beauty product
Hada Labo lotion is a Japanese skin care product that's hugely popular due to its amazing hydrating and anti-aging properties. It's said that one bottle of Hadalabo lotion sells every 4 seconds in Japan and now it seems like the rest of Asia is catching on to the craze.
Manufactured by Rohto Hadalabo (Hadarabo), the Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid range contains SHA, a scientifically advanced ingredient and promises that "one drop locks up an ocean", referring to how much moisture is retained in the skin moments after use.
Hada Labo is also extremely popular because the products only use the purest ingredients for hydrating and/or lightening skin. I'm a happy Hada Labo Toner user so if you want to see my review and learn more about this hot Japanese beauty product, please read on.
Photo: collage from Japanese Hada Labo ads
Please answer the poll below.
Photo: Singapore Hada Labo ad
Have you heard of the Japanese skin care range Hada Labo?
Please note that 'Lotion' in Asian skin care is the equivalent of 'Toner' in Western skin care.
Rohto Hada Labo Gokujyun Hyaluronic Lotion: Japan's No.1 Face Lotion - Tones, refreshes, and re-hydrates your skin
The Hadalabo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion is a bestseller in Japan, reportedly selling one bottle every four seconds. It contains SHA which is known for its capacity to lock in and retain moisture which results in elastic, young-looking skin.
Do note that "lotion" in Asian skin care terminology is actually the equivalent of a "skin toner". Unlike lotion as it is generally known, Hada Labo lotion is clear, runny and lightweight and the product is used after cleansing and before applying moisturizer. Since it's fragrance-free, it looks and smells exactly like water except that it's a bit thicker and it feels stickier. Use it as a toner twice a day.
Watch the how-to video for instructions.
This toner contains Supahiaruron Acid and Hyaluronic Acid for re-hydrating, softening and refreshing results. With advanced Nano technology, the intensive hydrating ingredients contained in this toner is able to penetrate into the skin for non-greasy yet effective moisturizing result. It can also prevent the evaporation of skin's natural moisture so that your skin can be well hydrated. Try it out for yourself!
What is Super Hyaluronic Acid and what are its benefits? - Learn all about Hada Labo's advanced skin hydrating ingredient.
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) which occurs naturally in our bodies is responsible for retaining water, thus locking in skin moisture which keeps us looking youthful. Since HA levels decrease as we grow older, wrinkles inevitably appear. Fortunately, HA can be administered topically and it has been on the ingredients list of many a skincare product.
Since Hyaluronic Acid is already known for its skin rejuvenating benefits (1 gm of Hyaluronic Acid can hold up to 6 liters of water), can you imagine what Super Hyaluronic Acid (SHA) can do? SHA has twice the moisture retaining capacity of HA and is the main ingredient of Hadalabo's Super Hyaluronic series of skin products.
Super Hyaluronic Acid Benefits to the Skin
- SHA replenishes and locks in moisture to visibly improve skin texture and prevent dryness so skin stays soft, hydrated and elastic.
- Instantly hydrates skin and helps preserve it's optimum moisture balance.
- Helps improve dry and dehydrated skin, leaving it silky smooth.
- It is free of fragrances, mineral oil, alcohol & colorants. It is also Skin pH balanced and causes low irritation.
My Hada Labo SHA Hydrating Lotion Review
My personal review of the moisture replenishing product
I'm past my mid-30s so preserving my skin's moisture balance is definitely a priority now. That's why I knew I had to try Hada Labo lotion. I have sensitive skin so having learned that the hydrating product is free of fragrance, mineral oil, alcohol and colourants, I was instantly sold on it. I'm already pale to begin with so I didn't care much for the skin-whitening range and got the basic Hadalabo SHA toner.
The lotion is clear, runny, and scent-free - it feels and looks like water except that its slightly denser. The liquid becomes sticky once you pat it on. Like in the commercial, my skin felt bouncy and elastic after the product has been fully absorbed. Hours later, it still felt very soft, smooth, well-moisturized and looks more radiant than before.
My only beef is that it takes a while to get fully absorbed by the skin - 3-5 minutes for me - so if I'm in a hurry, I might forego using it altogether. Otherwise, I think it's a great product. A bottle usually sells for $20 but as you only need 2-3 drops per use, it will go a long way and comes out quite cheap.
How to use Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Toner
1. Cleanse. Wash your skin with your usual cleanser (or with Hada Labo Facial Wash)
2. Tone. Shake a few drops of Hadalabo Toner onto both palms and pat it on to your face. It's pretty rich so 1-2 drops is enough to retain skin's natural moisture. The product contains no alcohol or any drying ingredient so you will have to keep patting until it's fully absorbed, otherwise it will just slide off.
3. Moisturize. Follow it up with your usual moisturiser (or with Hadalabo Milk Lotion). Yes, despite the lotion/toner's hydrating properties you still need to moisturize.
How to apply Hada Labo Hyaluronic Super Hydrating Lotion Video - A video review and demo of Japan's #1 Hydrating Lotion
Hadalabo user shirleenho demonstrates the amazing hydrating properties of Hadalabo Hyaluronic Hydrating Toner and shows us how to apply it on the face. She also recommends to keep patting the lotion on to the skin until the product is almost 70% dry on your face.
Step-by-step Instructions for using the Hada Labo skin hydrating series - How to use Hadalabo skincare products for optimal effect
Step 1: Wash your face with Hadalabo cleansing foam
Step 2: Pat on Hadalabo Lotion or Toner
Step 3: Massage on Hada Labo essence to your face
Step 4: Apply Hadalabo Milk to lock in moisture
Step 5: Apply Hadalabo Treatment Mask (2x a week)
Hadalabo skin care was developed according to the different needs of Asian skin based on age and condition.
* For hydrating properties: use the hydrating wash/foam cleanser, hydrating lotion, hydrating essence, hydrating milk and the hydrating mask.
* For skin-whitening properties: use the whitening lotion, whitening essence, whitening milk and whitening mask.
Image courtesy of the HadaLabo Singapore Facebook page
Rohto Hada Labo Hyaluronic Milky Lotion - Moisturizes your skin and locks in hydration
This moist facial milky lotion for dry skin contains super Hyaluronic acid to keep moisture locked in your skin for a long time. Hyaluronic Acid is known to hold 6L of liquid for only 1 gram of acid. The Hadarabo Gokujyun skincare series contains Super Hyaluronic Acid which holds twice as much liquid as regular Hyaluronic Acid does.
Rohto Hada Labo Japan Goku Jyun Super Hyaluronic Acid Moist Essence EX - Firms and refines large pores due to skin aging or dry weather
This intensive hydrating essence is designed for all skin types. It is able to tighten and refine large pores caused by aging and a change of environment. Your skin will look firmer, younger and well hydrated. Blends with intensive Supahiaruron Acid and Hyaluronic Acid for re-hydrating and softening results. With advanced Nano technology, the intensive hydrating ingredients contained in this product is able to penetrate into the skin for a non-greasy result.
Yamashita Tomohisa (Yamapi) and Maeda Atsuko (Acchan) for Hada Labo - 2013 Hada Labo CM featuring two popular J-pop idols!
This one is for the J-pop and J-dorama fans. Pop stars Yamapi (solo singer, former member of J-pop boyband NEWS) and Acchan (former member of massively popular girl group AKB48) have teamed up to endorse Hada Labo Lotion. The commercial features a short behind-the-scenes featurette + scenes from the actual ad. Enjoy!
*Incidentally, these two already starred in a 2012 winter drama: "Saikou No Jinsei No Owarikata"
Hada Labo brings you Back-to-Basics Skincare.
Only the best for your skin - no more, no less.
With a 'Perfect x Simple' Philosophy, HadaLabo uses only the purest ingredients that are beneficial to the skin with no unnecessary additives like colorants, fragrance, and oils that are present in other beauty products.
Hadalabo currently has three different product ranges and they are defined by each category's key ingredients.
* The Hada Labo AHA/BHA series is inspired by the smoothness of a shelled, boiled egg and features a combination of Alpha Hydroxy Acid and Beta Hydroxy Acid that gently exfoliates and polishes away dead skin cells and dullness to reveal smooth and radiant skin.
* The Hada Labo Arbutin Whitening series contains Arbutin, an extract of the bearberry plant which is natural, safe and widely accepted in Japan as a whitening agent, to enhance skin fairness and prevent dark spots, resulting in fair and even-toned skin.
* The Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing series is the signature range. The key ingredient, Super Hyaluronic Acid, has twice the moisture retention capacity of Hyaluronic Acid (1 gram of Hyaluronic Acid can hold up to 6 litres of water) and effectively replenishes skin's lost moisture, leaving skin smooth, supple and incomparable soft.
Photo and information soruced from Hada Labo Singapore
More Rohto Hadalabo skin hydrating products - Other skin products in Hadalabo's Hyaluronic Acid range
Rohto pharmaceuticals has also teamed up with the reputable Mentholatum company to create a skin care series for various skin conditions such as dull and uneven skin tone, dry skin, and oily, acne-prone skin. Find the Hadalabo product that suits your skin best.
Watch this How to Hada Labo demo video - Step-by-step guide to patting on the lotion
This video was taken at the Singapore launch event of Japanese skin care product Hadalabo in May 2010 at Takumi Tokyo Hotel. Watch the girls apply the product on their faces.
A video review of the Hada Labo Shirojyun (whitening) skincare line
Hadalabo user bunnie talks about and reviews the Hadalabo Shirojyun Toner and Emulsion in this Youtube video. The Shirojyun is Hadalabo's skin-whitening line. Watch and learn more about the products.
Get unbiased, in-depth Hada Labo reviews right here - Bloggers and testers review the product
Looking for a Hada Labo review? Read personal accounts by people who've actually used the Hada Labo products. Some of the reviews have before and after photos so make sure to check them out. I've posted snippets of their comments below and you can see the full reviews by clicking on the links.
- Review: Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Lotion
"This has certainly NOT disappointed me. I had fairly high expectations of it after having browsed so many reviews and I must say it truly lives up to all that it was raved to be. Two drops of this toner is enough for my entire face and it doesn't ta
- Review of Hada Labo: Japan's No. 1 Hydrating Product | MsGlitzy.com - A Lifestyle and Fashion blog f
"After two weeks of use, I have only praise for this range of Hada Labo products. Moisture is key to young, healthy skin and this range is affordable and effective. If there is one product you must buy, I urge you to get the Hydrating Lotion. "
- Reviews from a Teenager: Rohto-Mentholatum Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Instant Hydration Moituri
"This is quite expensive for students and affordable for adults... but a little goes a long way. With only 2-3 drops for my face every time, I have no idea when I will be able to finish 170 ml. It's definitely value for money! Will repurchase! I foun
- [Lipglosseater]: Product Review: Hada Labo Gokujyun Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Mask
"After using this mask, my skin feels really moisturized and comfortable. And after patting the lotion in, you'll get to experience the "bouciness" ... it's REALLY ADDICTIVE!!"
- Skin Deco: Review: Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion
"In the words of ParisB, "It takes forever and a day" so this is not a product you'd wanna use if you're short of time, which is why I only use this at night... Despite the slight hassle, I love how this product makes my skin feel thus, I don't inten
- Beetrice's Reviews...: Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid makes me bounce…
"The lotion feels sticky while patting, but afterwards I feel like the chubby toddlers whose cheeks are always too tempting for old aunties to avoid pinching - the desired 'toing toing' effect..."
- Miss Camwhore City: hada labo review
"I really like the Hada Labo lotion, I works like magic. No stickiness, no tightness, just fresh and supple. ...Easily absorbed into my skin & has no greasy feeling... "
- Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Milk | Beautyholics Anonymous
"I use very little of the moisturiser, and spread it very thinly on my skin, then it works. My skin is well-hydrated, remains oil-free and like many rave reviews on the moisturising lotion, it gave me that "toing toing" feeling on the skin."
- Review: Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moistuzing Lotion: Very good! - My Women Stuff
After 1 month of daily patting I like how this inexpensive lotion feels on my skin. My skin feels nice and moisturized even without applying moisturizer (though I don't recommend it) and I like how there is no scent."
- Review Of The Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Lotion | Pink Elle Reviews
"I've used it for about a week already and I do like how my skin feels a little plumper and more moisturized. However, the patting motions do take quite some time so make sure you invest the necessary time required to gently pat the lotion into your
- Hadalabo on Rohto Japan | The Official Website of Rohto Hadalabo
The ROHTO and Mentholatum names are synonyumous with the highest standards of quality and innovation. The company is dedicated in providing effective solutions that not only satisfy but exceed customers' expectations.
- Hada Labo (Singapore)
The Official Hada Labo (Singapore) Website. With a 'Perfect x Simple' Philosophy, Hada Labo uses only the purest ingredients that are beneficial to the skin, with no unnecessary additives & manufactured under strict pharmaceutical standards.
- Hada Labo (Malaysia)
The Official Hada Labo (Malaysia) Website.
- Hada Labo (China)
The Official Hada Labo (China) Website.
- ROHTO Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. | Japan
Rohto, a pharmaceutical company in Japan (manufacturers of Hadalabo) pledged to bring "happy surprises" for its customers.
- Rohto Pharmaceutical Co.on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Learn more about the Rohto Pharmaceutical Company of Japan