Handmade soap - a beautiful gift idea
Handmade soaps make a truly wonderful gift. You can often buy them locally if you're lucky but if not, there is a beautiful range that's available online. I buy them at our local farmers market often.
One of the best things about giving handmade soaps is that you know that your gift will be enjoyed and it's a luxury that only a few people would buy for themselves - they'll think of you every day when they use your very thoughtful present.
My family and friends all know that it's a perfect item for me and I've been lucky enough to receive it often.
Handmade soap isn't just valued for it's gorgeous smell and its practical use - they are also made without any weird and funky ingredients so can be used by all ages. If they're bought from a reliable company, you'll often find that organic ingredients are used and most handmade products offer great benefits to the skin, thanks to the luxurious yet pure ingredients.
Or why not buy some of these as a treat for yourself? They are very affordable and great value for money as they last for ages. I've included the 'buy' buttons below to make it easy for you to order online.
I adore the smell of this version - it's so fresh. This particular variety uses real lemongrass which has been dried and crushed, as well as essential oils and cocoa butter.
It's great for everyone but is particularly useful for anyone with an oily skin. I'm convinced that it keeps the Florida mosquitoes at bay too! What a treat.
Lavender and jasmine
This lovely scented product uses lavender that is imported directly from France. Also from France is the rose clay ingredient which is known for cleansing and toning the skin, plus removing toxins.
The beautiful jasmine scent comes from India and this is particularly recommended for people with dry skin. It has a very good lather too which is rich with a wonderful aroma.
Oatmeal and Guinness!
Yes, Guinness IS good for you. I knew that Guinness was nutritious and that it makes a great hair conditioner but until I tried this I didn't realize that it's great for your skin too.
It's the barley and the hops in the Guinness that makes it so rich and the soap also contains oatmeal and shea butter. It won't make you smell like a brewery - it has a lovely fresh scent.
How could I resist this one? This is Florida in a bar. It includes not just the oranges but also Florida tangerines, lemon, avocado and coconut - all blended with organic shea butter.
They say that the lemon in this version can help to reduce cellulite which is another reason it's a winner for me. But wait until you smell this good-enough-to-eat bar!
More about these beautiful handmade products
- If you choose the Florida orange, one of the most important ingredients is mango butter - it's almost magical. It is brilliant for the skin in just about every way -it's even said to prevent stretch marks and sooth insect bites as well as treating almost any skin complaint or blemish.
- Goats milk is another ingredient that can work wonders. Drinking goats milk can have an amazing effect when it comes to treating eczema and other skin problems. When used in this way, it's getting to work right where it's needed. In the goats milk and honey product, coconut milk is also used to give the most beneficial results.
- The Guinness and oatmeal type is a great choice for a guy who doesn't want to use a product with a flowery perfume - although the Florida orange variety is great for guys too. The brewer's yeast has long been know to be effective in preventing acne and it has properties which fight bacteria of all types. And of course, the shea butter is another amazing ingredient for great skin care.
- The company that produces these soaps (yes, they are all from the same cottage industry) make only very small batches at a time and are conscientious about using the finest ingredients. They also make their own wrappers for their products too so you won't need to worry about excessive and unnecessary packing.
- The company consists of two partners, one a naturalist and one a cook! One of the owners likens making soap to creating fabulous meals. After all, both consist of mixing and blending the finest ingredients in the perfect proportions. The original recipes come from his partner's Brazilian grandmother.
- When I get a new bar of handmade soap, I cut in in half or even into quarters if it's a large bar. One goes to live by the bathroom sink and the others go into my lingerie drawer! I use store them in the closet too because they give my clothes a wonderful smell.
- I have a flat wooden dish in my bathroom which I've lined with pebbles. When I've used my homemade soap, I put it on the pebbles. This lets it dry out well without the bottom of the bar going soft and squishy.
Try a selection basket
If you can't decide which product to choose, I fully understand! They are all so lovely. The answer could well be a lovely selection basket - something I would love to receive! Here are some great ones.
Make your own
I imagine that these gorgeous images of these wonderful products have inspired you to make your own. I know I am. I love the idea of making soap which is personalized to my own tastes, don't you? It will also solve a lot of gift-giving dilemmas because I am making special items that I know will be loved by my family and friends - especially for them.
Al photographs from Amazon
Made with natural ingredients
See how to make the simplest soap
© 2013 Jackie Jackson