How To Exfoliate
What Is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation is the removal of the top most layer of your skin cells. Your skin is the largest organ of the human body, did you know that? It is made up of water, protein, lipids and different minerals and chemicals. It also has several different levels that include:
- The Top Most Layer, The Epidermis
- The Middle Layer, The Dermis
- The Third, Fatty Layer, The Hypodermis
The skin is made up of about 75% Protein. Those proteins are:
The skin is also made up of water, vitamins, lipids, minerals and chemicals. Water is vital to our skin's hydration and health. Skin needs some things to remain healthy. Here's a list of what your skin needs:
- A Healthy Diet To Nourish It
On this page you are going to find out some of the many different ways of exfoliation. Removing those dead skin cells will promote new cell growth. Your skin will lose it's lackluster dullness and regain a healthy glow.
You can exfoliate at home with something as simple as sugar or you can go to the doctor's office for some dermabrasion. I prefer to stay at home and do my own exfoliation. It all depends on your stage of life, the condition of your skin, and what you results you want from this process.
- Adhesive Exfoliation Sheets
- Body Face Peels
- Body Gloves
- Chemical Exfoliants That Contain Hydroxy Acids: Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Fruit Enzyme, Citric Acid, or Malic Acid
- Crepe Paper
- Crushed Apricot Kernel/Almond Shells
- Dry Brushing
- Micro-bead Facial Scrubs
- Microfiber Cloths
- Salt Crystals
- Skin Care Brushes
- Sugar Crystals
- Ultrasonic Exfoliation
Make Your Own Exfoliating Brown Sugar Skin Scrub
It's easy to make a simple exfoliating scrub at home with ingredients you most likely have in your kitchen cabinets. These homemade scrubs don't last very long, but they are so simple to make, it should not be a problem for you.
One of my favorites is the Brown Sugar Scrub and here's what you will need to make it:
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil (you may adjust the oil quantity, by adding or removing few drops so you reach the desired consistency for this mask) You can also use coconut oil, grapeseed oil, or almond oil.
- A Soft Towel
Combine the ingredients, the brown sugar and the olive oil, in the bowl. Make a paste and apply it to your face. Massage it gently and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse it off with warm water and pat your face dry gently with a soft towel.
Facial Exfolating Scrub
Here's another easy recipe for a facial exfoliating scrub:
- 1/2 Tablespoon Almonds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Raw Honey
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Soymilk
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Green Tea
Blend the almonds in your food processor until they are a paste. Add the soymilk, green tea, and the raw honey. Pulse the mix in the food processor to mix it, it will just take a couple pulses.
This mixture will last in your refrigerator for three to five days
Here is another facial exfoliating scrub you can use - Strawberry Facial Scrub
Body Exfoliating Scrub
Here's a body scrub that will help you to remove the dead skin cells and keep your body soft and glowing.
You will need:
- 1/8 Cup Oat Flour Or Ground Rolled Oats (Rolled oats should be mixed in a food processor for a few turns to make it a bit more powdery)
- 1/8 Cup Of A Good Carrier Oil Such As: Sweet Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Avocado Oil, Or Pistachio Oil
- 1/8 Cup Sugar
Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the carrier oil 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture is pasty. Rub the mixture on your body, gently massaging as you do so. Use circular motions to massage the scrub into your skin.
My Favorite Carrier Oil
There are several carrier oils listed on this page and they all work well. My favorite is the Sweet Almond Oil. It has a light, but sweet aroma, it is quickly absorbed into the skin, and I find it the best oil for me. I also like Jojoba oil.