How To Wear Skinny Jeans
How to wear skinny jeans is dependant upon several factors - your own sense of style, your fashion sense and, ultimately, your confidence. Much like any other form of tight pants, skinny jeans need to be worn with a little aplomb, yet you also need to look as though you're just too casual for words.
Not hard for some but near impossible for others. For many of us, the bigger task relates to the jeans, the cut - and our bodies. Finding the best jeans for your butt, shape and personal sense of taste and style is always a little difficult for us girls. But - no matter!
Where there's a will there's a way. Loosely translated as where there's a dollar sign that we girls can afford - look out here we come. Fabulous jeans for fabulous women - lets see what the best skinny jeans can do for you!
Actually, knowing how to wear skinny jeans is simpler than it sounds. A few good pointers in the right direction and before you know it, you'll be strutting around like you've always had the 'know how'. Or at least - that's the intention.
To start with Levi's do the best skinny jeans - for a great price and they're definitely a good place to start. They're well cut, well made and the best selling jeans in the range. I have some and they're awesome. A wide range of colors and sizes allows you to accessorize to your hearts content.
Once you've got a top pair in your wardrobe, the easiest way to work out how to wear tight jeans is to think of them as a pair of leggings or similar - yet bear in mind that they remain what they really are ... a pair of jeans. And jeans can be dressed up (or down) depending on your mood, the event, the day and so on.
In a nutshell, skinny jeans can and will look good and your size and shape shouldn't be a major issue. Of course it's always easier to look good when you're super slim. However, it's also worth remembering that the average woman is anything but. So despite that little nugget of truth - a few extra curves shouldn't rule out your ability to wear a great little fashion piece.
Unless you're like the guy in the video below.
Skinny Leg Jeans
Skinny jeans are basically a very tight pant - made from denim. Not to be confused with one of the latest trends on the market, the jeans legging - or 'jeggings' as they're better known.
Like the best designer jeans from Calvin Klein, they're tight fitting, from thigh down to ankle, manufactured from a stretch denim and they're intended to fit and flatter most shapes. These ones are a great fit, most women find them extremely comfortable and flattering and the price is low considering they're designer made.
Interestingly, this style of jeans has been around some fifty years or so. Originally designed way back in the fifties, they've changed little since the designs inception. The eighties saw a huge revival (I helped revive them ... ) and teens and adults alike could be found clad in acid or stonewashed tight jeans.
Anyone who was ... anyone wrapped their legs and nether regions in jeans that were tight enough to make a vicar cry. Those were the days. And how glorious to find that over twenty odd years later - they're back in fashion.
Skinny jeans are worn by the famous and not so famous, the young and not so young and, judging on how long they've been around, they're not going to go out of fashion anytime in the near future.
So pin back your eyes - now we're getting to the science bit ... how to wear skinny jeans.
Skinny jeans for women can be worn in several different ways. Of course - remember your age. I'm just over forty and still wear them but not quite like I did over twenty years ago. No midriff baring for e.g.
The True Religion label do a fantastic pair - this pair are almost flawless in their design and they're worth every last cent. All you need is one perfect pair - after that it's how you wear them:
- if you have a thicker ankle than you'd like, buy the styles that have the zippers - much easier to climb in and out of
- don't, whatever you do, buy a size too small. I can't say this enough: the correct fit is the best fit
- if they're too long, don't worry. It's ok to have a little gather at the ankle. More so if you're intending to wear yours with ankle boots or similar
- unless you're blessed with long legs - avoid cropped or Capri skinny jeans. All they will do is shorten your leg and make you appear shorter than you really are
don't forget the fit around your butt - there will be a design that both fits your legs and your booty, so shop around. Don't buy second best designs
What To Wear With Skinny Jeans
If you're wondering what to wear with skinny jeans then the best advice is this: clothing and accessories should be primarily based around colors, tops and accessories that suit you. If you're long and lean, you can wear just about any combination of tops/jeans - for example:
- tight tops and shrugs
- horizontal stripes
- rock chick
If, like me, you're not quite so slim as you were way back when, then stick to:
- boho - tunic tops and 'A' lines
- loose shirts
- fitted jackets but only as an added outerwear accessory
- bell sleeve tops
Plus size ladies need to balance out the top and the bottom so avoid flats and instead opt for heels - anything leg lengthening. Equally, if you're slender, any footwear will work, from heels to boots to flats.
Skinny Jeans Style
A top style is to pair your jeans with Ugg boots. Uggs are a great example of what works, and the pair on the right are exactly what I'm talking about. Best sellers by a long mile, available in a variety of colors and so on trend when it comes to what to wear with skinny jeans - you honestly can't go wrong.
Going back to the jeans themselves - any colour is great if you're slim but plus sized women need to stick to the darker shades: black or dark blues and greys. The darker colors will slim you down, whilst lighter colors simply add width.
Final Style Tips
Some final quick tips to remember when buying and/or creating your look around skinny jeans:
- dark colors work better on plus size women - the pair on the right are the best jeans for curvy girls. They're the perfect cut for non-skinny women and the cut and fit is beautiful
- if you're still unsure and plus size, buy a straight leg jean rather than a skinny leg
- don't shorten your leg length if you're petite or short legged - stay away from cropped jeans
- remember to settle for colors that work best for you. Not everyone suits bright yellow for e.g. nor has the shape to carry it off
- don't forget your age! Teens, tweens and those in their twenties can get away with much more than those approaching (or passing!) the middle age barrier
- well designed boots almost always work well with skinny jeans - don't be afraid to experiment
- but - avoid too much lacing or patent leather - you could end up looking more 'dominatrix' than fashionable!
Most of all - try to remember that following fashion doesn't have to mean you're a fashion victim. Wear what makes you feel comfortable - and that will lead to boosting your confidence.
Never make the mistake of going out - then spending your time in a corner feeling overdressed and self-conscious. Fashion is supposed to be fun, fresh and confidence giving ... it's not supposed to turn you into a wall flower!
Copyright © AJ Thompson - 01/05/10. All Rights Reserved.