How to Plump Your Lips: The Shot Glass Method
How to Get Plump, Sexy Lips
Bee-stung, plumped lips are sexy and youthful. It doesn't take a scientific study or a poll to figure out that full lips are more attractive than thin, flat ones. There’s a reason Angelina Jolie is famous. Sure she's beautiful, talented, generous, kind-hearted, and married to Brad Pitt. But let’s be real, her lips are what make her legendary!
If you have thin lips like I do, you’ve probably tried every trick in the book to make them look bigger. You’ve used light-colored lipsticks, artfully applied lip liner and a dot of gloss just on the center of the lower lip to give the illusion of fullness, or maybe you’ve used a subdued, almost-invisible nude lip and concentrated your makeup and enhancement efforts on your eyes and skin.
But the fact remains that thin lips are unattractive. They make you look older and constantly maintaining lipstick, liner, and gloss gets ridiculous. What’s a girl to do?
What Have You Tried to Get Plump Lips?
My Quest for Bigger Lips
I've been on the hunt to get bigger lips for a long time, and I've tried a lot of options. Maybe you've considered them too.
How about lip injections or plastic surgery?
Um, no thanks. Sure it can work but it's not a good option, because:
- It involves needles.
- It costs a lot of money. (Seriously, a lot.)
- It looks weird, then it looks OK, then it's gone. Or worse, it just looks weird and then it's gone.
- It can cause allergic reactions.
- I'll say it again - NEEDLES. No thanks.
How about lip-plumping glosses, lipsticks, or treatments?
They’re worth a try I guess. These topical treatments can work for some people, but it seems to be very hit or miss. Even the best lip plumpers seem to have only a slight effect, and the ones with the best reviews are quite pricey. I don't have the patience or extra cash to waste searching for a product that works for me.
What I Found
These options are just not good enough, so I went on a quest to find out if there was a way to enlarge or enhance my lips without getting surgery or wasting my time and money on stuff that doesn't work. While I was searching, I found out that there are a lot of people trying to make money off of us thin-lipped ladies. What a surprise.
Fortunately, I also found a cost-free way to plump up those lips. You can make them as plump as you like, or even get them too plump if you're not careful. Plus it works on everyone. I’ve personally used this method to increase the size of my lips.
At first, the effects lasted only a few hours, which was fine, but after about six months of regularly using this method, it seems that my lips have gotten plumper permanently. And when I want or need to, I can spend a couple seconds on this method and plump my lips. It's faster than putting on lipstick and it costs NOTHING. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
How to Plump Your Lips with a Shot Glass: My Method for Success
Yep, it's really this easy. Follow these guidelines carefully and be sure to read the warning section below. Remember, that more is not better. If you overdo it, you're sure to cause damage.
My advice is to start out slow and steady, going week by week to plumper lips. Here's how:
Do the following twice a day:
- Get a shot glass out of the cabinet.
- Apply plenty of chapstick, petroleum jelly, or similar moisturizing lip treatment to your lips.
- Put the mouth of the shot glass firmly over your lips, then slowly suck the air from the glass until you feel a gentle suction.
- Close and relax lips (and keep the glass tight over your mouth to retain the suction) for a VERY SHORT TIME (two seconds maximum), then release.
- Repeat steps one through four.
You will see very little, and very temporary, plumping this week. Patience, young grasshopper!
Repeat the same steps as week one, but do it three or more times per day, with slightly increased suction, and increase holding time to five seconds. This is when people are going to start noticing and complimenting.
Week Three and Onward
Increase suction, holding time, and frequency gradually over the next few weeks, until your lips are AWESOME. Then go splurge on some gorgeous lipstick you would never have worn before!
WARNING: Read This Section Carefully
We want nice plump lips, right, ladies? We don't want bruises or broken blood vessels all around our mouths. That is not pretty. This method can be effective, but only if it's done properly. So remember to follow the steps. Be sure to use the shot glass method only carefully, gently, and slowly.
Here are some tips for success:
- Go week by week. More is not better. I'll repeat that: more is not better. If you apply too much suction, hold for too long, or do it too many times starting out, guess what? You’ll get some ugly bruising. The first weeks are important. Starting out gently and slowly lets the tissues in your lips and around your mouth become accustomed to suction.
- Go slow. Be kind to your lips. Don't give yourself ugly bruising. By gradually increasing suction, holding time, and frequency over a few weeks, you'll get pretty, plump lips and stay damage-free.
- Don't forget to use moisturizing lip gloss, chapstick, or petroleum jelly. Use it every day and all the time (even right before bedtime!) The skin on your lips is delicate and prone to dryness anyway. Stretching that skin makes them even more susceptible to becoming dry or cracked. Keep them coated with a moisturizing treatment of your choice at all times and stay hydrated.
Discontinue all shot glass activities if:
- Your lips become dry, peel, or crack.
- You have bruises or lip damage.
- There is any pain.
Above all, remember that more is not better. Sucking harder or for longer will only cause bruising and unsightly damage. Slow and steady is the way to go.
Other Ways to Plump Your Lips (Almost) Naturally
Here are some other methods of plumping your lips naturally that might work for you. Give them a try!
- Use essential oils in your lip gloss. Peppermint, capsicum (the substance that makes peppers spicy), and cinnamon are all said to have plumping power. Just add a drop or two to your normal lip balm or find a plumping lip gloss recipe.
- Exfoliate your lips with sugar.
- Apply highlighter to the center bow of your lips and a shimmering balm to just the center of your bottom lip.
- Use a slightly darker-colored lip liner, a pink-toned lip color, and a shimmering gloss.
- Lightly brush your lips with a toothbrush.
- Find a store-bought lip plumping lip gloss that works for you.
Sample homemade lip-plumping gloss recipe:
Mix one tablespoon of coconut oil with 1/3 tablespoon melted cocoa butter, and 20 drops of sweet almond oil. Add two drops of capsicum pepper essential oil and you've got a natural lip plumper!
A variation on the Shot Glass Method - all you need is a plastic bottlecap!
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end.