My Journey In Creating Coin Purse From Old Jeans
Just yesterday, my coin purse that I have been using for almost two years gave up. Its zipper got loose and I cannot zip and unzip it anymore. Since I am broke as of this writing, a brilliant idea came to mind. Why don’t I recycle? At least, I will not be shelling out a few bucks just to get a purse at the same time I am able to help Mother Nature by simply decreasing the waste production of the Earth. Sounds good right?
However, as I was doing my craft, I was a little surprised that creating a coin purse out of my old jeans is so hard. I don’t have a sewing machine and stitching is not my thing. But don’t worry. Despite of the fact that I am not an expert in making a coin purse, I will still help you create a better one through this step by step guide obtained from my disastrous yet fun experience!
- Old Jeans (Pocket Portion)
- Decorative Materials (Beads,Sequins,Crystals etc.)
- Sewing Machine (optional)
Six Easy Steps
Step One. Prep your old jeans and get the pocket portion at the back (reserve the rest for other fun crafts). The pocket portion is an ideal part of your old jeans to morph into a coin purse because it is already sealed. You don’t have to exert some effort in stitching and sealing its edges.
Step Two. Once you have extracted the pocket portion of your old jeans, cut the upper portion. Severing the upper portion will help you stitch the zipper easily. Plus, you are able to attain the ideal measurement of a standard coin purse.
Step Three. Then, get your zipper and attach it to the opening of your coin purse. Use some pins to secure the zipper on its proper place.
Step Four. Get your needle and thread (if you will do it manually) or get your sewing machine and start sewing. Take note of the position of the zipper and the coin purse. Make sure to keep the knots and the stitches inside by stitching it in reverse.
Step Five. When you’re finished already, hide the unnecessary details like the knot and excess part of the zipper.
Step Six. If you want, you can design your customized coin purse by putting an ample amount of decorative materials like sequins, bead, buttons and crystals.
- The pocket portion of the jeans is just right for the project because usually, it is already designed.However, you can also use other parts of your old jeans depending on how you want your coin purse to look like.
- If you don’t want to use crystals and other shiny decorative materials, you can resort to using pieces of cloth or felt paper and stitch it on the surface. You can do it through the so called appliqué technique.
- You can use different colors of zipper depending on your preference. Just make sure that you use the same thread color so it wouldn’t look that bad.
In My Experience
As you can see, I failed but at least I tried. I may not have done what I want in mind but I was able to create something that might inspire you in one way or another.By the way, my journey on recycling is not yet over. I still have the whole pants that I can use for other exciting crafts. Wish me luck!