- Fashion and Beauty
Henna Hair Dye - What is Henna and How to Dye Your Hair with it?
Henna Dye for Hair - What is Henna?
What is henna? You may have heard that henna is a 100% natural hair dye and it can keep your scalp and hair healthy too. Henna is a flowering desert shrub which is native to Asia. It is mainly grown in countries like India and countries in Africa which enjoy a warm climate. Its leaves are dried and powderized. The henna powder when made into a paste makes a brownish red dye. It has a long history for thousands of years and is used and appreciated especially in South Asia and the Middle East.
What Does the Henna Plant Look Like?
How to Dye Hair with Natural Ingredients like Henna?
Henna is a leaf powder that has long been used as a natural hair dye and body tatto paint. I have used henna for many years and would like to share its benefits here with you. My naturally curly dark hair has become stronger, shinier and even frizz free! It has also noticeably stopped excessive hair fall probably from using chemical hair dye before.
So with henna what type of coloring will result for you? If you have naturally dark or brown hair, henna will give a reddish brownish tint to your hair. With indigo, henna will give a rich brown with a hint of auburn. By using henna you can achieve a more vibrant yet not overwhelming color. You can keep yourself away from the harmful effects of chemicals in synthetic hair dyes while enjoying the 100% natural, 100% vegan, pesticides free, chemicals free and cruelty free hair coloring and conditioning properties of henna.
You should know that natural henna does not cover greys but gives it a subtle highlight. Henna which claims to dye grey hair is not natural henna.
When you buy henna, you want to buy it from a trusted website or reputable local store.
How Many Natural Dyes for Hair Coloring Do You Know?
What Natural Dyes for Coloring Do You Know?
How To Make Henna Paste and How To Apply Henna
What you will need:
1. Henna powder. Make sure it is all natural, free of added chemicals.
2. A container and a spoon or whisk. Do not use metal spoons or containers. A used yoghurt tub and a disposable spoon or such that can be discarded later will do.
3. Warm water.
4. A teaspoonful of vinegar or lemon juice per 50g henna to release the color in the mixture.
6. Face cream or vasaline.
7. Hair clippers to section your hair.
8. Rubber bands to tie your long hair after application.
9. Plastic wrapper for your hair or just a big plastic bag.
10. An old T-shirt to wear and a big old towel for drying your hair.
11. Old newsapapers.
12. A hair conditioner, your regualr one or virgin coconut oil.
How to Apply Henna
1. Take out the right amount of henna and put it into a container. The rough guide for henna powder use is 50g for short hair, 100g for medium and 150g or more for long hair.
2. Mix warm water and vinegar or lemon juice into it gradually. Stir the mixture with a plastic spoon or whisk until it has a batter consistency. This process takes 15-20 minutes. Then cover the mixture and let it sit overnight.
3. Prepare the area where you can use a mirror. You may want to put newspapers on the ground and worktop. For yourself, you may want to cover your body with an old towel or a large trash bag.
4. Apply face cream or vasaline around your hairline.
5. Put on gloves.
6. Use clips to section the hair.
7. You can put the henna paste on clean and dry hair, starting with the roots and hair in sections. Hair clips are helpful.
8. Work it into your scalp to make sure the roots are well covered.
9. Massage your head to make sure that the henna pasted is evenly distributed.
10. You may need to tie your hair with a rubber band and then wrap it up with a plastic wrapper to catch drips.
11. Leave the application in for 3 hours. The longer the time, the better the coloring result.
12. Find something to do while waiting.
13. When you rinse out, try not to use shampoo but conditioner instead. The color will keep better this way. You can dip your hair into a bucket for the first couple of rinses. Then rinse your hair in running water until the water is clear.
14. Dry and apply conditioner such as virgin coconut oil, hair serum or your regular conditioner.
15. Enjoy the result.
Henna Hair Dye
Mix Henna with Indigo for the Desired Color
Indigo Powder No Added Chemicals with Pure Henna to get Brown, Dark Brown, Black Hair Colors
Henna for Guys: Jet Black Henna Hair and Beard Color Cruelty Free and Added Chemicals Free
How to Apply Henna on Hair for Beginners
Suggestions for Henna for Long Hair
Henna also makes your hair strong, voluminous and shiny. It helps to restore the lost health of your hair and also repairs damaged locks. Apply on hair including scalp to make the best of henna. The video shows that If you have dry or frizzy hair, for best results, you can add full cream milk into the paste so that your hair will become soft and manageable.
Amla Powder for Hair Growth and Turns Dark Hair Brunette - Ingredients: Emblica Officinalis (Amla) Fruit Powder 100% Perfume Free & Chemical Free
Henna Recipe to Dye Your Hair Red
Here is a simple henna recipe to dye your hair red - with beetroot juice.
Do you know that beetroot juice makes a good natural hair dye when mixed with henna powder? It is not as crazy or difficult as you may think! I really enjoy the resutls. And it is all natural ingredients.
If beetroot is available where you are, you may want to try this hair coloring treatment. The result is reddish brown, the lighter your original hair color, the redder the result.
It is easy to make beetroot juice even without a juicer. Wear gloves. Just cut the beetroot into small pieces, press the pieces with a spoon into a tea strainer. If you are using 50 grams of natural henna powder, you will need about 250 ml of beetroot juice. If you want to thicken the mixture, you can add some yoghurt.
The dye will be darker if you leave the mixture overnight before use. Follow the same procedure as suggested above. Apply the mixture on clean and dry hair for at least one hour. Then rinse off thoroughly with water.
I have done this treatment many times and it is not messy at all. Do share with us here your favorite henna recipes!
100% Natural and Chemical Free Hair Dye Choice - Number One Best Seller
How To Make Henna Hair Color Last Longer and Chemical Free?
How to make your new henna treatment color last longer?
If you are a new user, you may think that henna makes your hair feel rough. Well, it is only because henna is in the form of powder and thus the initial roughness. After a couple of washes, the initial rough feeling will go. Avoid using shampoo right after the treatment. After rinsing your hair and drying it, you should use some oil to keep in the color. For short hair, 5 ml will do. For medium and long hair, 10 ml should be enough.
You may use any hair oil products you already have. Otherwise, some light cooking oil will do. If you are looking for an ideal and chemical free hair oil, an excellent choice for various use, I would recommend organic cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. You can use it not only for keeping the dye longer, but also for healthier hair and healthier skin as it is a natural moisturizer, not to mention that it is also ideal for cooking and baking. Cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil works as a natural leave-in conditioner. It keeps your hair stronger, free of split ends, more volatile and shiny.
Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil To Keep Hair Color Longer
All Natural Hair Coloring Ingredients: Henna, Indigo, Amla and Beetroot Juice Are All Natural Hair Dye Choices.
Besides henna, you can also add indigo for a darker color, Alma to add a browner shade to dark hair, and beetroot juice for a much redder color.
I am health conscious and prefer all natural dyes. You don't have to put up with artificial chemical dyes which are likely to dry out your hair and cause more dandruff. On the contrary, henna and other natural dyes also keep your hair stronger and healthier. I have enjoyed the benefit of a much fuller head of hair since I started using henna.
© 2015 May Matthew