Nose Piercing Tips
Nose Piercing History
Nose piercing is quite attractive and may underline the face, since the nose is its most sticking out part. Leonardo da Vinci was saying that the nose creates character of the whole face. The first reference about nose piercing is seen in Near East, in the Book of Genesis (24:22), which describes events of 4000 years ago. Abram ordered his older servant to find a wife for his son Isaac and servant found Rebecca. One present that he gave her were “golden rings.” Initial word in Hebrew sounds like Shanf, which also may be translated as “a ring for the nose.”
This tradition is still present in nomadic tribes of Berbers and Beya in Africa and in Bedouins from Near East. The size of a ring corresponds to wellbeing of a family. Ring is given by a husband to a wife and is the assurance in case of divorce.
Tradition of nose puncturing was taken to India from Near East in XVI century by Mogul emperors. In India a nail (Phul) or a ring (Nath) usually is wear in the left nostril and sometimes is connected by a chain with the ear. Also, in some places both nostrils are punctured. Piercing on the left side is the most popular in India, since this spot is associated in Auved (Indian medicine) with reproductive capabilities of women. It is assumed that piercing promotes easy childbirth and reduces the pain period.
In the west, nose piercing appeared for the first time at the end of 1960’s among hippies that have been in India. Later on it was picked up by the punk movements at the end of 1970’s and became a symbol of opposition to traditional valuables. Conservative people such as parents and employees did not get accustomed with it yet. Therefore, find out their reaction before getting a puncture. Today, nose piercing is accepted by people quietly and many famous people such as Madonna, Lani Kravic, Sinead O’Connor or Slash from Guns and Roses wear jewelry in the nose.
Nose Piercing Disposition
Nose septa piercing goes through a small crest of layer between alar cartilage (outer) and tetragonal cartilage (which separates nostrils). This is the best spot for puncturing.
Nose Piercing Jewelry
Primary body jewelry, which is placed usually with a piercing, is a nose rings that is closed by a ball or a special jewelry for nose’s septa (this is a barbell bended in a form of a hoof). This body jewelry may be hidden if to turn edges of a hoof inside of the nose. This is ideal for those who have a work where face piecings are not preferable. Another choice is a circular barbells, which is a ring with two balls on its ends; balls of such jewelry also may be hidden inside the nose, even though it is not that comfortable like with a horseshoe barbell. Once a piercing healed over you may replace jewelry. It is possible to wear a big variety of items in this piercings such as canines, spades, crooked canines, nose rings with balls, curved barbells, circular barbells.
Nose Piercing Types
Bridge Piercing is the type of nose piercing, which is located by the eyebrow’s arch or on the bridge of the nose between eyebrows in the area of the temple. Thickness of jewelry has 1,6mm – 1,2mm – 1,0mm and masters use a nose ring or a barbell. Eyebrow piercing is seen as a surface piercing and has a tendency to rejection within couple years.
Septum piercing is the central nose’s partition between nostrils. Usually, the upper part of the septum on a joint of two cartilages is punctured in order to injure cartilages minimally. Jewelry for septum is made of different materials (titan, surgical steal 316L, silicon, Teflon), sizes (from 1,2mm to tunnels of extremely large sizes) and forms (rings, hooves, barbells, keepers). Do not use different ointments for the piercing healing (Levomikol, “ Saver” etc.), hydrogen, peroxide, brilliant green, iodine. It is preferable to wipe the wound by a wad stick with chlorgeksidyne 3-4 times a day. It is possible to replace jewelry in a month after (piercing) modification, depending of pain sensations when pressing on the nose’s tip.
Needle or Gun?
There are two types of nose piercing in the present time – by a needle and by a special gun for the nose, be it disposable or with a changeable hermetically packed container (It depends of a producer and accordingly price diapason varies). If you want to piercing the nose’s wing with a minimal discomfort then choose a second variant. Such procedure would take couple seconds – you would not even get what actually happened and would understand that all worries about pain was in vain). One more advantage is that needles, which are used by this particular type of a gun are very small and refined and look quite accurately.
However, you should know that there are such “sorrow specialists,” who do piercing by a regular gun for ears. For the sake of your own safety avoid such procedures. There are several reasons for that, such as – gun is made of plastic and therefore cannot be sterilized in autoclave so it is not sterile if it touches inner surface of the nose. This means that potentially deadly microorganism Staphylococcus Aureus may be transferred from one client to the other since about 30% of population are bearers of Staphylococcus you have a chance one of three to get this deadly infection potentially. Do not forget that nose is very close to the brain! Nails that are used in a gun are developed for ear’s tissue piercing and nose is a very thick cartilage; therefore, some guns do not piercing it at once. Needles cause short and sharp pain, nails in a gun are blunt and a piercing is made only because of gun’s power and as a result it injures more tissues in the wound, which causes pain for several days after the operation. Besides that you would have a big and ugly nail in your nose.
Nose Piercing with needle
Nose Piercing Healing
Nose’s piercing usually heals over within 6-10 weeks. It may be very sensitive (even painful) within first several weeks of the healing period. You may feel when a piercing healed over. Press under the tip of the nose and if you do not have any pain it means that the healing process is over. However, you should not change body jewelry or try to stretch a piercing until everything heals over totally (usually 8-10 weeks). Healed over piercing is still always open. If you would not wear jewelry, after prolonged break there may be a necessity of channel widening by special tools in order to insert body jewelry. Remember that a channel never closes up totally!
How to Clean Nose Piercing
Nose Piercing Care
• You should clean the wound every day when you take a shower. Soak a wad ball or a piece of cotton fabric with salt solution (it is sold in any drugstore) or with a solution made by yourself (dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water). Place a ball on the wound and soak it for 3-4 minutes until you remove crust. Be careful! Do not remove the nose ring!
• Remove all formed scabs from a nose ring cleaning them with a soaked in a salt solution wad ball. Be careful, do not rub too hard, otherwise you may remove the ring. Before turning a ring, make sure there is no any crust on it; otherwise, you may injure the wound.
• Thoroughly dry out a piercing spot by patting (not rubbing) with clean fabric, paper towel or by a piece of a toilet paper. Do not wipe your face with a towel since there are a lot of germs living in it and you may remove the ring by the towel as well.
• Remove the nail before going to bed in order not to lose it, but do not do it during the healing period.
• Take vitamin B with zinc, it promotes healing.
• It is better not to touch crusts, because it causes granuloma formation and wound infection.
• Do not remove body jewelry out of the wound until the end of its healing process. Removing and insertion of body jewelry prolongs healing and may be a reason of infection and granuloma.
• Do not change body jewelry for a ring during the healing period, since it has small locks, which damage the wound causing inflammation and granuloma. Silver rings are especially dangerous since they oxidize in the wound during its healing period, which may be a reason of argirose and would leave a black dot on your nose.
• Do not remove body jewelry for more than one day for the first six months; otherwise, your piercing would close up.
• Try not to apply cosmetics, like scrubbing solution, lotion for tan etc, right on a piercing spot. If you use hair lacquer cover your piercing spot by a hand.
• It is forbidden to use spirit, butter of a tea tree, methyl spirit or bethadyn for the wound treatment since all those things are quite irritating on gentle tissues that form a scar and may cause granuloma.
Links to Articles
- Nose Piercing Care
Nose piercing is quite attractive and may underline face since the nose is its most sticking out part; Leonardo da Vinci said that nose creates a character of the whole face. The first mentioning about nose piercing is seen in the Near East in the Bo
- Nose Piercing Process
Nose piercing is a piercing of the skin and/or cartilage in any part of the nose in order to wear jewelry in the future. Among all piercing types, nose piercing is on the second place of being popular after the lobe of the ear piercing. There are man