The Yellow Sapphire
Where Do Yellow Sapphires Come from
Yellow Sapphires originate from the mineral corundum.
Corundum is a hard and solid crystal rock which is colorless.
When traces of iron are present the corundum becomes yellow in color.
Yellow corundum are referred to as yellow sapphires and come in light yellow, bright yellow including yellow with traces of the color orange in it.
Other Names for Yellow Sapphire
In India the yellow sapphire is called Pukhraj in Hindi and in Sri lanka Pushparaga.
Other names for yellow sapphires are:
- Yakoot in Persian
- Asphar in Urdu
The Book Of Gemstones
Yellow Sapphire and Astology
This sensational golden colored gemstone is highly valued in Indian (Vedic) astrology and is linked to the planet Jupiter.
Astrologers from India associate nine varieties of gems with the nine planets:
- Blue Sapphire (Saturn)
- Cat’s Eye (Ketu)
- Diamond (Venus)
- Emerald (Mercury)
- Hessonite (Rahu)
- Pearl (Moon)
- Red Coral (Mars)
- Ruby (Sun)
- Yellow Sapphire (Jupiter)
The above nine gemstones are referred to as ‘navaratna’ (meaning nine gems).
Gemstones for Protection during Travel
Healing Properties of Yellow Sapphire
The yellow sapphire is claimed by some to have the power to bring fame and fortune to the one who wears it.
Some people may even wear a yellow sapphire set in a gold ring in their index finger in the hope of healing themselves therapeutically and holistically.
Difference Between Heat Treated Yellow Sapphires and Non-Heated Yellow Sapphires
Heat treated yellow sapphires are cheaper than the non-heated ones. Heat treatment is done to improve the color of the gem.
The stone is heated at 450 C to 1900 C for an hour or sometimes up to 2 weeks. It is then sent through a cooling process to enhance and boost its color.
Beryllium diffusion and lattice diffusion are two types of treatments used to improve the color of yellow sapphires.
How to Check Yellow Sapphires
Yellow sapphires which have inclusions (tiny marks) that are visible to the naked eye are not of high quality. It’s always best to avoid buying such sapphires.
Make a point to check the ranking of the yellow sapphire for its hardness as this will help to confirm the yellow sapphire is in fact worth buying. Yellow sapphires should have a ranking of 9 on a Moh's scale.
When purchasing gemstones buy ones which are certified by the Gemological Institute of America or the American Gem Society. Such certifications will guarantee the yellow sapphire you are purchasing is in fact authentic.
Finally, avoid buying yellow sapphires from wayside shops if you happen to travel to countries where such shops exist. Always buy from a reputed jewelry or gemstone selling company.
How to Protect Yourself from Bad Neighbors
Countries Yellow Sapphires Are Found
Sri Lanka, Madagascar and Burma are some countries where the yellow sapphire is mined.
Yellow Sapphire and Zodiac Signs
Yellow Sapphires have been linked to the following zodiac signs.
- Aries – A person born under the Aries sign will be gifted with intelligence and wisdom if he wears a yellow sapphire.
- Taurus – A person born under the Taurus sign will be blessed with financial success if they wear a yellow sapphire.
- Gemini – By wearing a yellow sapphire a person can enjoy a prosperous career at their workplace.
- Cancer – Persons born under the Cancer sign can look forward to achieving good results throughout their education and have a serene and pleasant home life.
- Virgo - Virgos can look forward to solving problems that may come their way with ease and without any difficulties if they don a yellow sapphire.
- Sagittarius – Sagittarians will be blessed with two things if they wear the yellow sapphire: charm and a feeling of supremacy and power in all that they do.
- Pisces – People born under this sign will be bestowed with wisdom and wealth if they wear a yellow sapphire.
Sri Lanka Yellow Sapphires
Yellow Sapphires from Sri lanka are highly prized since the majority of these sun-colored gems are unheated. The gems have a natural bright lemon color to it unlike the heated yellow sapphires which are forced to produce colors that are golden to yellow orange after going through the heating process.
A natural unheated 5.01ct Ceylon Yellow Sapphire
Madagascar Yellow Sapphires
Madagascar Yellow Sapphires come in shades of pale yellow, yellow/brown, and golden yellow.
Burma Yellow Sapphires
Burma Yellow Sapphires are much lighter in color when compared to yellow sapphires mined in other countries.