★ The Coolest Travel Tattoos | Wanderlust Inspired Tats ★
Travel Inspired Designs & Quotes
People often get tattoos to represent times, places and events that mean something to them. These kind of travel-themed tattoos remind people of time spent elsewhere, things they experienced, people they met etc. and are a way of holding onto the memories. They can also be used to represent your travelling hopes and dreams for the future.
Below you will find some design ideas, as well as some photos of my favourite designs and some inspiring travel quotes too. I hope this page helps you feel inspired if you are currently planning to get a travel themed tat :)
Atlantic Ocean, New York Skyline
Inspiring Tattoo Books
Books of tattoos are brilliant resources for ideas and inspiration, and you can choose the book based on what style you prefer; whether it's vintage, birds, dragons or words.
A book by the famous and very popular tattoo artist Kat Von D, looking at the tattoo culture around the world. Also includes personal stories and information, plus tattoo sketches and examples.
Large range of creative typography-based tattoos, with explanations of why certain fonts and words were used.
Photos & Handy Info - Lots Of Ideas As Well As Some Advice
- We Heart It
I really like the 'Let's Go' tattoo.
- Getting Tattooed Whilst Traveling
Things to consider when getting a tattoo abroad.
- 46 Perfectly Lovely Tattoos
I really like the color used in some of these - especially the compass.
- Travel Tattoos
Another mini photo gallery of examples.
Travel tattoos listed on the popular gallery site.
Quotes, symbols and some new creative ideas.
Nautical Star Compass
Route 66 Honeymoon
Some Travel-Themed Ideas
- Map - could be an outline of the world map, could be a realistic globe, could be the shape of your favourite state/country/continent, could be the road map of your hometown, the London underground map etc.
- Paper plane
- Travel quote
- A method of transport e.g. plane, train, ship, bicycle, campervan, motorbike
- Could be a particular route you went along when travelling, marked out in a dotted red line over an outline of the country.
- Symbols to represent places e.g. Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben etc.
- Passport stamp or airmail parcel stamp
- A song lyric from a song that represents your trip, that makes you think of a particular great moment on your travels, or is about a specific place you've been e.g 'I took the midnight train going anywhere' 'I'm leaving on a jet plane, Don't know when I'll be back again' 'You've been all over, and its been all over you' 'Listen can you hear the distance calling'
- Maybe get matching tattoos with all your travel buddies, to commemorate the great time you had - maybe even just numbers to represent the date of the trip.
- Something which represents freedom to you
- GPS co-ordinates to represent the location of your favorite place(s)
Not All Who Wander Are Aimless
A book for people interested in classic, old school or vintage tattoos, as well as the history of this art form.
Road Trip Memories
Live for Travel
This fabulous photo is by Live for Travel - see more on Tumblr.
My City, My Tatt
Travel Quotes & Phrases
- "Add life to your days, not days to your life."
- "Carpe Diem."
- "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~Saint Augustine
- "There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
- "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Take the road less travelled.
- "Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
- Get Lost.
- "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzi
- "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." ~ Andre Gide
- "Travelers, there is no path, paths are made by walking" ~ Antonio Machado
- "No road is long with good company" ~ Turkish Proverb
- "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." ~ Helen Keller
- "Make voyages! Attempt them...there's nothing else." ~ Tennessee Williams
- "Take only memories, leave only footprints."~ Chief Seattle
- "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." ~ William Shedd
- "To travel is to possess the world". ~ Burton Holmes
- The world is your oyster.
- "The open road is a beckoning, a strangeness, a place where a man can lose himself." ~ William Least Heat Moon
- "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
- "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." ~ Yogi Berra
- "Heroes take journeys, confront dragons, and discover the treasure of their true selves." ~ Carol Pearson
- "Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of men, instead, seek what they sought." ~ Matsuo Basho
- "I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see." ~ Lynard Skynyrd, in Free Bird