- Fashion and Beauty»
The DO's and Please Don'ts of getting dressed
For those of us who need fashion advice, but don't ask
Tips, advice, and just plain common sense that's not so common sometimes. We all know her...that girl who just can't seem to get it together in terms everyday fashion. Some of us ARE her. My name is Kat , and well, it's a jungle out there.
My top 20 fashion tips
1. Get a full length mirror....and use it. Turn all the way around to see yourself from all angles. Rule two is a direct result of my breaking Rule one.
2. Look at yourself from the back BEFORE you leave the house. Trust me...you don't want to find out later where that pop tart ended up, (the one your 3 year old left on the couch) from your boss.
3. In the dark, navy blue and black can look amazingly alike. but In the office they surprisingly do not.
4. If you have to hold in your breath to zip it....it's too tight. It looks like hell. Give it away. On the other hand, if you need a belt and three safety pins to keep it on, it's too big. Get rid of it.
5. Wear clothes that fit you. The tag may say size 5, but if your a size 8 and you squeeze into a 5, you will only look like a sausage. A proper fit will actually helps you to look thinner. If you don't like the size on the label, rip it out. That's what I do. The proper drape of the material can depends on sizing correctness.
6. It's better to wear no pantyhose at all, rather than trying to hide a run with nail polish. It just looks tacky.
7. If your head moves, but your hair does not, you have used too much hairspray. Another indicator is if you regularly get stabbed in the eye with your over sprayed bangs. Yeah, that really hurts. I have done it.
8. If your hair looks wet, but feels hard, you have used too much mousse.
9. Eyeliner used on the inside of your eyelids ALWAYS makes your eyes appear smaller. It can also increase the chances of eye infection.
10. If your older than 25, never wear clothes adorned with teddy bears...unless you work in a pediatrician's office.
11. Please .....no mixing animal prints. Enough said.
12.If a hair accessory comes with an instruction booklet....it's really not worth it.
13. If you ask your kids whether the outfit you are trying on makes you look fat and they tilt their heads to one side, squint, and/or take longer than 15 seconds to answer..then, yes it does.
14. Don't even bother asking your spouse/boyfriend the same question, because if he really loves you, and you look awful, he will lie.
15. If you look up and can see your mascara...you have on too much mascara.
16. Buy the correct sized bra. You would be amazed at how much better you will look and feel. A bra squeezing the fat out of your sides and back is bad.
17. If you can't walk in high heels, then don't. It looks awkward, and nobody will notice your great sense of style if you're wobbling all over the place. God forbid you fall down. Shoes these days can be low-heeled AND sexy.
18.The bedroom, or maybe the beach, but most of the time nobody wants to see your thong. Pull your pants up or wear the right panty. It just looks trashy showing above the back of your jeans.
19. Short skirts can be very sexy, but you should be able to sit without your underwear showing. At the very least, bend at the knees to pick up anything on the floor. Bend down, not over. Oh, and cross your legs. This helps with the whole "not showing the world your panties" concept.
20. Choose colors you like and feel good wearing. Does it make you smile when you look in the mirror? If you aren't happy with your outfit, it will show. Find good things in your wardrobe, and build from there. Throw away anything from high school. Leather jackets are exempt from this rule. Get rid of anything you just KNOW you're gonna fit into again. You won't. You are a full grown woman now. Dress accordingly, and remember to SMILE.
If you don't like the size label, rip it out. I mean carefully cut it out..no holes that way. Refuse to let labels define how you feel about yourself.
Look for yourself... - My five favorite mirrors from Amazon
Not just what to wear, but how...
Colors, textures, and versatility
Pink and orange can cause nausea in combination. Three different blacks do not look good ...ever. Three shades of blue, however can look amazing. I'm not sure why but that's the way it is. Try to keep your color combinations to a two or three color maximum. For example: Navy pants, light blue shirt and a contrasting color for your accessory will look much better than navy pants with an orange shirt and green accessory. Colors should flow comfortably from one shade to another and ending with a contrast. Do not mix prints. Keep your outfits simple and elegant.
Jeans paired with a silky or soft top can be refreshing. A T-shirt with silky pants is not. My rule of thumb on this subject is keep the top garment exciting and the bottom garment boring. Never the other way around.
When you're shopping, try to imagine at least three things the item you want can do for you. Can a giant scarf double as a beach cover up or a skirt for the office? Do those shoes look just as fabulous for work as for a casual date? Will this pair of shoes go with more than one outfit you already own? Be creative and make your clothes worth the money you're spending on them.
This is also a great under garment for anything you have that is too transparent to wear alone.
A great addition to your wardrobe if you're still not quite the size you want to be.
A great fitting bra makes a world of difference in your overall appearance.