Why a kurta will flatter your figure
Kurtas are fashionable, feminine and flattering
Now that the experts and fashion gurus are telling us that a much more feminine trend is taking over the catwalks of the world, the Indian kurta (alternatively it's called the kurti) is exploding in popularity.
At one time, these very flattering garments were only worn by people in countries such as India, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
Today though these fashionable garments are available to us all. I just had an email from my London friend Caroline (a fashion editor) totally raving about them as the latest thing. She calls them 'panjabi'; that's what they are known as in the UK.
Although they are worn by both men and women traditionally, women and girls today are finding that the feminine versions are a perfect way to flatter their figures.Whatever shape you are, you'll look great in one of these garments, but they are particularly good if you have curves.
They are available in a huge variety of colors and often have embroidery or bead work - another fashion look that we are seeing emerge from fashion and couture houses today.Caroline and I have selected some of our favorite stylish examples - enjoy!
A fashion editor's secret
I first heard about these many years ago from my friend Caroline. I've known her for many years and she always looked so wonderful and so stylish - despite having a less than perfect figure. She told me that these Indian garments were ideal, inexpensive and chic.
She had a number of them that she bought from an Indian clothes store in an Asian area of London. I went there and it was like Aladdin's Cave!
At that time, they weren't widely available unless you went to an ethnic store but today they are easily ordered online.
Detail from a beautiful example
How these lovely tops will flatter your figure
- Most have exquisite embroidery or bead work at the neckline. If you're pear-shaped - and most of us are - these details draw attention towards your face and hair, rather than your lower body.
- The lower part of the garment - the 'skirt' - gently flares over the hips. This is a very flattering look that makes your waist appear smaller. Perfect for those of us who have wide hips.
- Many have sleeves with a gentle flare. This adds to the curvaceous appeal. It's well known in the fashion trade that slightly flared sleeves add to a slim look.
- Necklines are sometimes low. If you're proud of your cleavage, choose one with a low line neck to show off your advantages!
- They are normally worn with jeans, leggings or pants. If you have terrific legs, forget the pants and wear your kurtas as sexy mini-dresses.
- You can also wear your top with your favorite skirts.
- They are ideal for everyday wear but also look fantastic as evening wear. dressed up with jewelry. Try Indian jewelry for an authentic look.
- When you consider the quality and the versatility of a kurta, it's a great buy.
- Most of these are ethically-made in India.
- Kurtas are roomy in the mid region so are ideal for hiding a small baby bump - or the fact that you ate too much pizza!
Gorgeous black with beadwork
This lovely top is a great example of how these garments flatter a feminine figure. See that here, the model is wearing hers with jeans but it would look equally good with more dressy pants.
Great for evening wear or for casual outfits, this example is particularly flattering because of the flared sleeves. Something Caroline taught me many years ago is that these five a great slimming effect. I'd love to tell you why! She didn't share that with me but it's certainly true.
This lovely garment is shown here with black pants but if you want to show off your great legs, it's fine as a mini dress too. This example is ideal for daytime and also looks great for evening wear, matched with a silky black shawl.
I particularly like the subtle color in this example. There is a very pale eau de nil that can be used for some stunning accessories such as leggings, a stylish scarf or a fashionable bag or tote. This is a very adaptable garment to suit all ages.
This stunning garment is lined so that you won't be able to feel the embroidery stitches when you wear it. This is a great example, particularly if you like lower cut bust-lines.
Stylish in black
Any figure is flattered by these stylish, loose and flowing tops. They can be worn as casual wear or dressed up with a scarf and beautiful jewelry for the more formal occasions. This is very adaptable and is made from 100% cotton.
This is probably the most simple of our selection and perhaps the most adaptable too. It suits all figures and can be work with pants, skirts or jeans. Wear it with a long skirt or wide-legged pants for a stunning party look.
© 2013 Jackie Jackson