How to reset your Mac password once you forgot it
Reset your password
This tutorial works on every Mac wheter it's a Mac Book Pro, Mac Book Air or an iMac
- Shut down your Mac, once the mac has powered off, press simultaneously on Cmd + R and start your computer. Do not release Cmd + R until you're asked to choose a language, feel free to do so however when your prompted to enter a language.
- Choose English as the main language.
- You'll get a board with 4 options on the middle of the screen, disregard it, focus your attention on the horizontal menu on the top left corner, choose Utilities between Edit and Window.
- Choose Terminal
- Make sure the flag on the top right corner is the American, proceed then in the terminal in entering "resetpassword" in minor caps and all together.
- Click Enter
- You will be prompted to choose your disk, choose MacIntosh HD
- Choose your user name generally its the first and last
- Choose your new password (jote it down somehere...)
- Click on Save and then you'll get a message saying your password has been reseted and click on OK
- Go to the top left corner of the screen click on the Apple and choose Restart
- Choose your user and enetr your newly created password
- You might get a message at login asking about the keychain, choose create a keychain and then (several windows) choose cancel.
- That is it ! You're good to go