10 Must-Have Accessories to Use a Laptop Full-Time
As someone who works professionally for the web, I need to use a computer all day long. I have both a laptop and a desktop computer, of course. And I use both of them each day when doing my work because they both have their benefits over one another. However, if I needed to choose between using only a laptop or only a desktop, I'd choose to use my laptop full time. That's due primarily to the fact that I can take it anywhere. However, I would need some specific laptop accessories to make full-time use of the laptop work for me.
The top ten must-have laptop accessories for people who want to use their laptops full-time are:
- Extra battery. The problem with using a laptop all day every day is that the battery starts to wear out quickly. When I was a PC person, I always had an extra battery with me and it was a long-lasting battery at that. Unfortunately, this isn't an option for me now that I'm an Apple person ... it's the only bad thing I've found so far about switching to Mac!
- Extra long power cord. If I'm going to work from a laptop then I want to be able to take advantage of the fact that I have a portable full-time computer. If I'm working from different locations all day then I need to be able to plug in the computer and an extra-long power cord makes that a lot easier. That, I have to confess, is one of the best things about the Mac since it comes with two different lengths of power cords to make things easy on you.
- Laptop sleeve or backpack for laptop. I used to have a specific backpack that I used for carrying around my laptop. Now I just use a laptop sleeve. Either way, you need some sort of protection for your laptop when you're toting it around with you all day for full-time use.
- Bluetooth-enabled printer. You must have a printer for your computer if you're using it full-time regardless of whether it's a desktop or a laptop. In my opinion, a Bluetooth-enabled printer and laptop are great choices since they're super convenient although any printer that works with your laptop would be fine.
- Laptop mouse. There are occasionally times when I find that my work is enhanced by the option of using a mouse. And it's a lot easier to play computer games during downtime if you've got a mouse for your laptop. :) I think if you're going to use a laptop full time then it's worth it to invest in a mouse just in case you need it. I, personally, think a wireless mouse is the best choice.
- Laptop stand. One of my favorite things about the laptop is that you can use it in your lap. However, this isn't great for your posture if you're doing it all day. That's why laptop stands are so important. I think that the best one is one that can be raised and lowered so that you can use the laptop while sitting as well as while standing. A second laptop stand just for your lap, to allow for the best positioning as well as to cool the machine, is also a good choice if you are using a laptop full time.
- USB light. I happen to love the option of having an additional light on my keyboard and work area and a USB light is a great way to get that for your laptop. It's not a necessity but when you spend many hours (at different times of the day) on your laptop then you find that it really enhances the experience of working.
- Webcam and headset. If these aren't built in to your laptop already then they are accessories that you should definitely invest in. The ability to use your voice and to share images through video conferencing is a great asset to any business. It also helps reduce the feeling of isolation that can come from working all day on your laptop alone.
- Additional computer speakers. Sometimes I use my laptop to listen to podcasts, audio instructions or even music while doing work in a notebook or elsewhere in the home. The laptop speakers tend to not be quite good enough for this. Additional speakers are a terrific asset in this way. It's not an issue if you have a desktop computer too but is definitely a great idea if you're a full-time laptop-only person.
- USB Memory Sticks. You don't want to keep your laptop overcrowded with all of the old files that you don't need. If you don't have a desktop computer that you're backing your laptop up to then you need to be storing the information somewhere else. USB memory sticks are a top choice for me because they hold a lot of files and are small enough to keep out of the way in storage.