5 Powerful Tips to Make the Computer Run Faster
Speed goes down with time
But you already know that.
Computer speed goes down every month. That happens because Windows creates and keeps unnecessary files, programs write files and don't delete it, apps and software installed add to the number of files Windows has to load when it boots and a lot more.
In this article you are going to see my best five tips to make your computer as fast as it was the first time you clicked the ON button.
A Google search will give millions of guides to speed up a computer. Why another article on computer speed? Because this one works, it's easy to use and it will make your computer run as fast like when you bought it.
Here they are
1. Always delete all the files you don't need anymore. Archive the ones you still need to an external hard disk if you don't need them on a daily basis. Windows has something called desktop search index that updates in real time. When you open a folder, Windows will load the index. When you run a search the index will load. The smaller the index is, the faster the computer is. There's the option to turn off indexing and speed up the computer, but search would take minutes instead of seconds. It's better to reduce the number of files you don't need on a daily basis.
2. Delete all the programs you don't use anymore. Software makes the computer slower. It means more files in the Windows folder, more files to load when the computer boots, more files to take hard disk space. Delete everything you don't need anymore. For the programs you still need to use, find out if there is the portable version. The portable version does not make the computer much slower because all the necessary files will be inside one folder, instead of the entire computer such as the registry, windows folder, programs folder, etc.
3. Don't have two indexing systems or more. Windows search is not perfect so people try Google Desktop search, Copernic desktop search, X1 search and some more. If you have all these programs running on the background you won't believe how much CPU, RAM and hard disk usage they crave. For Windows 7 the best desktop search is Windows search. For Windows 8 is Copernic. All the others are not necessary. Delete them all.
4. Run cleaning software like Ccleaner to delete cache, temporary files and clean the register. Right now your computer is writing temporary files. Windows and programs don't delete them most of the times. The contribute to a slower computer and to crashes. Ccleaner should be run at least every month to clean everything.
5. If you are not satisfied with all the tips above, just reinstall Windows and it will run again like new. Windows is not perfect. After months or years of use, the amount of errors inside the system will be so many the only solution is to backup everything and give your machine a brand new start.