10 Tips For Twitter: Make Social Media Work For You
How to use Twitter for fun or profit
Many people do not understand what a powerful tool Twitter can be, whether you use it to make friends, find customers, promote a band or event, or to follow your favorite celebrities and get news. You can, if you choose, use Twitter merely to passively get news or read other people's tweets, but if you choose to invest a little time to set your account up properly and use Twitter the right way, it can allow you to reach thousands of dedicated followers.
How do I know this? I currently manage two accounts of my own, @rhettaa and @bluesATL, and four accounts for businesses and events (@DarwinsBurgers, @dconsflit, @dconspacetrack, @Ghostock_Events, if you would like to check them out. These are all successful accounts. And how long does it take me to maintain them? Now that they are set up, about half an hour a day for all of them, and it's a lot of fun, too! I use my personal accounts to promote my books and my articles as well as to help spread news I find interesting and support my favorite authors and bands.
Here are 10 tips to use Twitter effectively, whether to make friends or promote something you care about.
10 Top Twitter Tips
- Make sure that your account is set up properly, with a cover photo, a profile photo, and a description.
This is not difficult. Choose a photo that will display at the suggested size for the cover photo and upload it. Then choose a photo for the profile photo. If this is a personal account a photo of yourself will be most effective. For a business or interest, choose an appropriate photo.
Write a one or two page sentence that explains a bit about who you are. or about your subject. Be informative. For instance, my descriptions at @rhettaa reads, "Author of The Irish Slaves, T'ain't Nobody's Business, Haunted Marietta and other books. Online journalist, blues addict, paranormal investigator, history lover."
- Post your first tweet. Make it something that reflects an interest or gives a bit of information. Even better, post several tweets. As soon as you have done that, go to the next step.
- Find some people to follow
Follow your friends on Twitter. Then use the "Search" box to find people who share your interests. For instance, I might put "blues music" into the search engine to find people to follow for @bluesATL. Once you follow a few, Twitter will suggest more. You can also use services like "Twellow" to find people to follow. Stop when you have between 50 and 100 and wait for some of them to follow you back. You don't want to have a lot less people following you than you are following.
- Tweet every day or at least every few days.
- Don't just tweet about yourself. Share interesting news, links, photos, and anything you think your followers will find interesting.
- Retweet! This means that you share what other people have tweeted with your followers. Share what you find interesting and these people in turn may share your tweets with their followers, That is how you build a network and also how you make friends on Twitter!
- Make your Twitter account stand out by exploring the themes that you will find under your profile settings. There are some very attractive ones and it will make you stand out from the crowd.
- The best time to tweet to be seen by the most people is around 1 pm, according to the experts. If you like, you can use a service like Buffer to automatically retweet things you want to share several times a day. But the most important thing is to keep tweeting!
- Share photos! Research shows that tweets with attached photos get much more attention than those without. Not every tweet you make will have a photo, but share them when it is appropriate to do so.
- Take advantage of Follow Friday. Every Friday, you will see messages that start with the hashtag #FF followed by a list of Twitter handles. This is how Twitter users tell their friends who they think they should follow. Choose people you really want to recommend because you enjoy their tweets, and they may recommend you in return. Again, this is how you create a network and let other people find you!
Now be patient!
There you have it. Now be patient, follow these tips and have fun! Don't worry if you don't get 1,000 followers right away. Just enjoy interacting with the ones you have and keep tweeting and before you know it, you will have made friends, learned all sorts of interesting things, and if you are looking for customers or people to support your interest, you will find them too!
See you on Twitter! Remember, my personal accounts are @rhettaa and @bluesATL and I would love to see you there!
Useful links for Twitter users
Buffer allows you to set up automatic tweets several times a day, week or month, and is very useful for sharing links to Amazon if you sell products there, or to Etsy, or any other site you want to share. It is also great for promoting events. It is
Twellow makes it easy to find follwers in categories you are interested in, and to let them find you if you add yourself to the lists. It is free to use.
ManageFlitter lets you see which people that you follow are following you back, which are inactive, and which may be SPAM. It is very useful to help manage your account. and it is free.
Learn more about Twitter - Here are a couple of good books to help you learn more about Twitter
I learned a lot about Twitter from this book when I created my first account.
Everything you need to know.
Do you agree with these tips? What do you think of TWitter/