The 5 Best Free Tools that will clean your Windows 7 PC like a PRO
If your like me, and you spend a lot of time on your pc, then you probably have some junk to get rid of. Why bother? Two reasons:
- Increase your PC speed by keeping it clean.
- Temporary Files (Windows and Internet) can slow your pc down and harbor spyware, tracking cookies, and even malware. Sure you can pay a pro clean your PC but why when you have these free pro tools at your fingertips? This little set of free apps will have your PC cleaned up in no time. Note -- these pc tools are free for home users, some of them ask that professionals purchase them or at least donate
Listed below are my top 5 PC cleaners that have gained my trust over the years.
1. CCleaner. (Pronounced "see-cleaner"). I use this little tool every other day. When you first install this little app you have the option to use desktop shortcuts, start menu shortcuts, and\or attach it to the recycle bin. I like a clean Windows desktop so I attach it to my recycle bin only. When I want to run it, I simply right click my recycle bin and select "open CCleaner".
Not only does CCleaner come loaded as a top of the line PC cleaner with many customizable features, but it also has the only registry cleaner I actually trust (and its free). TIP - If you decide to clean up your Windows registry, make sure to say "yes" when asked if you would like to save a backup. I've never had to go back and restore mine (knock on wood), but it's always a good idea to have a backup. Another included tool to note is the uninstaller, under the "tools" directory. There are lots of things you can do with CCleaner, but if you just want to leave it set to the defaults and use the Windows cleaner utility that's fine too. Just hit the "Run Cleaner" button on the bottom right and you are done. After running just this one tool you'll notice a difference in your PC speed.
2. ATF Cleaner. "All Temp File Cleaner", was created for Windows XP and not officially supported for Windows Vista or Windows 7, but it does work. Once you're done downloading the file to your browser in Firefox or Chrome, right click it and select "Open Containing Folder". Copy it from that folder and place it where ever you like, for example your desktop. Now while CCleaner did a great job of cleaning your personal Windows user profile's cookies and temporary internet files, ATF cleaner will also clean the Windows Temp directory, Current Users Temp directory and All Windows users Temp directories. TIP - once you've run this cleaner, save it in a folder such as "PRO TOOLS" for later use.
3. TFC Cleaner. Next up is TFC cleaner. This pro tool takes Windows PC cleaning to the next level, as it cleans all of the temporary internet files and cache for all of the Windows user profiles on your PC! Ever use a PC that has been handed around the office a few times, and say 8 or 9 people have used it over the years? Chances are very good that there is a lot of junk sitting in their Windows temp folders. Download TFC the same way as you did ATF cleaner and put it on your desktop. Click Start and let it run for a second or two and then you are done. (You may have to restart your PC when done). TIP - put this cleaner in your newly created "Pro Tools" directory for later use.
4. SuperAntiSpyware. This pro tool is essential for keeping your PC's spyware tracking cookies in check! Like the name suggests, it removes spyware (tons of spyware) from your Windows PC. Spyware and tracking cookies can greatly effect the speed of your PC. You can download the free edition (which is what I use), or the professional edition. If you already have an antivirus suite then you want the free edition. The install package will fully install itself into your Windows program files directory and start up as soon as it's installed. You have two choices when scanning your PC, either a "Quick" or a "Full" scan. I recommend running a full scan when you install it and then follow up with a full PC scan at least once a month. You should run a quick scan once a week or so.
5. Malwarebytes. Last but certainly not least, in my humble opinion is the single greatest Windows PC malware remover out right now. This awesome little pro tool is not only good for routine scanning, but if you think your PC may be infected, this is the very first program you turn to. Chances are you could rid yourself of a nasty bug just by running a full up to date scan with this utility. Like SuperAntiSpyware, there are two choices when downloading, Free and Pro. If you already have an antivirus program, then you want the free edition (what I use). This program will install itself in your Windows Program Files directory and upon first run I recommend a Full PC scan. TIP - always be sure to click the "updates" tab first, to make sure your definitions are up to date, then run a scan. Your scan won't be nearly as effective if your definitions aren't up to date. Run a Full PC scan once a month or so, and a quick scan once a week.
The Check is in the Mail
Running these 5 pro tool cleaners will not only help you keep your Windows PC free of spyware, malware, cookies, and increase PC speed, but most importantly, they are all FREE!! Pat yourself on the back, you literally just saved yourself 100 bucks not to have me do it!
Did you run these pro tools and increase your PC Speed? Find any bugs along the way? Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you found!
*** Important --- Once you've cleaned your Windows PC, you'll be ready to move on to my next hub: 5 Ways to Make your Windows 7 Computer fast like a Pro.