50+ Things You Can Do With Bamboo
50+ Things to do with Bamboo
Bamboo is an amazing plant. It is the fastest growing woody plant on earth. It can be made into almost anything and it can grow up to 4 feet in a day and will reach maturity in two years! It's stronger than steel by weight and yet very lightweight. All parts of the bamboo plant can be used. It is sustainable and naturally water-proof and grows without the use of fertilizers. Strands of bamboo can provide 35% more oxygen than an equivalent amount of trees.
Bamboo is actually quite remarkable. It is a sustainable resource (especially since you virtually cannot get rid of it) but it is also very light yet strong. I have had a love affair with bamboo for a long time now, but it wasn't until I started looking into deeply that I found out all the amazing things that this plant is capable of. If you don't have any bamboo I'm sure someone who does wouldn't mind at all if you took some of theirs. If you do have bamboo and you don't know what to do with it, you've come to the right place!
Nevertheless, bamboo is also an incredibly invasive plant. Actually it's a grass but once planted it can be very difficult to contain or erradicate. So, I would think twice before planting it, however, you may already have done so. If you already have access to this plant here are a million things to do with it, ok not quite a million but 50! If you can't find something to do with your bamboo in this list I can't help you!
1. Furniture: You can make your own furniture with bamboo! ------>
2. Housing: Many houses are made of bamboo in the tropical areas of the world. Because it is light, strong and in great supply it makes the perfect building material.
3. Bamboo Diapers: Biodegradable and therefore will not contribute to the overwhelming mound of plastic diapers polluting our land-fills.
4. Paper: From what I researched making paper whether it's from bamboo or any other source is not easy however, it's doable and rewarding.
5. Toilet Paper: Although I couldn't find any videos on how to make your own toilet paper, I don't think it would be hard to make. It would be a great way to make your own toilet paper should the SHTF or if you were off the grid.
6. Pipe: While I don't condone smoking, bamboo does make a great pipe. Here is a video showing one man's home-made bamboo pipes. -->
7. Wood Chip Mulch for the Garden: Can you ever have too much mulch! Bamboo is perfect for this, especially if you have too much and don't know what to do with it. Get a wood chipper and have at it!
8. Bamboo Fishing Poles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dj5CJJHtSY
9. Back Scratcher Instrument: See video ----------------->
10. Bamboo Violin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9duShaD56jo
11. Baskets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbknyAGw1Ro
12. Bamboo Wattle and Daub: Amazing technique using bamboo and earth to build interior walls.
13. Ladder: Why buy a ladder when you can make one!
14. Bamboo Pop Up Yurt: This is just amazing, forget buying that expensive tent, make your own!
15. Fencing: Beautiful and easy to do.
16. Flooring: While I don't think that bamboo flooring would make a good DIY project, nevertheless it is beautiful. Here is how it's made.
18. Mats: These are good for patios and/or muddy walkways. ------>
19. Outdoor Bamboo Shower: This is beautiful and it doesn't look like it would be a hard DIY project.
20. Rain Gutters: Bamboo is naturally water resistant, however you can reinforce the natural resistance with polyurethane: Picture:
21. Room Dividers: ---->
22. Bamboo Food: Yes you can eat bamboo! I've never tried it but now I want some!
23. Roofs: Labor intensive but cheap bamboo materials! ----->
24. Clothing: Environmentally friendly and as soft as silk! Bamboo fabric keeps the body cooler when hot and warmer when cold out.
25. Socks: Ultra soft and sustainable
26. Flip Flops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0gSSsDKHIY
27. Bowls: --------------------------->
28. Purses: Gucci even makes purses with bamboo handles!
29. Bridges: In this video a kid makes a bridge, it looks like just about anyone could do this!
This bridge is much larger and pretty amazing:
30. Bamboo Boats: In this first video a bunch of kids made this boat, it's really amazing.
This is a much larger boat and was not made by kids, it's awesome!:
31. Bamboo Cars: Well since I found bamboo boat, I figured there had to be bamboo cars out there too!
32. Make beautiful house plants and gifts.
33. Scaffolds: Although you seldom see bamboo scaffolds here in the United States, you do see them all over the place in asia. They are actually safer than steel in bad weather and only 1/10 of the cost of steel.
34. Making a Kite or Buka: Bamboo is great for making kites because it is very strong yet flexible.------------------------>
35. Bamboo Paper Plates: While this is not a DIY project these are eco-friendly disposable plates.
36. Bamboo Bed: This bed looks so easy I think even I could make it!
37. Sheets: Softer than 1000 thread sheets made of cotton!
38. Flutes: Bamboo is perfect for making flutes, they are practically shapes like flutes anyway!--->
39. Cups: You can make your own or you can buy sophisticated ones in the store. Here is a video on how to make your own.
40. Window Blinds: You can make them yourself with ...Bamboo!
41. Sustainable, Biodegradable Alternative to Plastic:
42. Earbuds: I have a pair myself and they really are great. See the amazon ad above if you want a pair.
43. Bamboo Skateboards : Bamboo skateboards are virtually indestructible, watch this video for a side by side comparison:-------------->
44. Bamboo Surfboards: Makes super lightweight yet strong surfboards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_fI1nzJSl4
45. Bicycles: Bamboo bikes are inexpensive to make and very durable, here are a few websites if you are so inclined to make one.
46. Fans: These are decorative fan that you can make with your children on a rainy day with bamboo.
47. Bamboo as Medicine: Bamboo is used all over the world to treat stomach disorders, stopping infections and bleeding to name but a few. Here is an excellent article describing the medical benefits of bamboo.
48. Bamboo Chimes: ------>
49. A Lobster, Crab or Crayfish Trap: A nice DIY project if you are in need of a good meal!
50. A Blowgun: Some kid on YouTube (see video below) made a home-made blowgun out of a stalk of bamboo. Now, I think this can be quite dangerous so I'm not sure I would recommend it but hey if you ever find yourself stuck on a tropical island and being hunted by cannibals..it could come in handy!
Bamboo Rain Gutters
51. Bamboo Rain Gutters:-------------->
Did You Know All the stuff that Bamboo Could Do?
- Bamboo Forums - Bamboo Arts and Craft Network
Bamboo Arts and Craft Network-Bamboo Forums A resource for information on the arts and crafts of growing, working with and using bamboo. To visit the Bamboo Forums go to http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums
- BambooWeb - Bamboo Information and Photos
A site dedicated to the sharing of bamboo information and photos. Has a searchable database of plant species and vendors.