AMD Radeon HD 7730M Benchmark
Hi there friends. Dell is now shipping its new Inspiron 15R Special Edition laptop with AMD Radeon HD 7730M 2GB. So, it is essential to benchmark the card, so that you can assess its performance before you purchase the laptop.
Inspiron 15R laptops with HD 7730M in them range from Rs.50,000/- and above. The price will vary depending on your choice of Processor, RAM, Operating System, etc., but the graphics card section does not have a choice.
Radeon HD 7730M is between mainstream and performance line cards and supports games released in 2011 in Medium-High Details. Games released in 2012 can be played in low-medium settings.
Some games like Metro 2033 and Assassin’s Creed 2 Revelations must be played with low settings because the card cannot handle some open world games on medium settings.
Few games like Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Batman Arkham City, etc., were fairly playable with medium settings, which was surprising considering all of these games are quite demanding.
Memory Bus Bandwidth
11.1, Shader 5.0
Benchmarked Laptop with 7730M - Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition
3rd Gen Intel Core i5 3210M (Up to 3.1 GHz)
4 GB DDR3 at 1600 MHz
Intel 7 series HM77
2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M DDR3
15.6 - inch HD WLED
1 TB (5400 RPM)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Mass Effect 3
The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim
Assassins Creed 2 Revelation
Batman Arkham City
Dirt Showdown 2012
3D Mark 11
- · Radeon HD 7730M card is enough to run all current titles on medium as well high settings. However, it is still not enough for upcoming titles like Most Wanted 2012, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, etc.
- · The card handled Crysis 2, Batman Arkham City, Diablo 3, Dirt: Showdown 2012, Mass Effect 3 and Modern Warfare 3, very well and made us believe that if we purchase Inspiron 15r for casual gaming purpose, it might do the job.
- · The desktop version, HD 7750, is obviously better than the laptop version because of higher clock speeds, but this makes the card bulkier and utilizes more power.
- · This card uses only 32 watt power and runs cooler than the desktop version; however, we do have to sacrifice some performance too.
- · Some games that could not be shown here are Sleeping Dogs, GTA IV, Dead Space 2, Burnout Paradise, NFS Hot Pursuit 2010, NFS: The Run, Shift 2 Unleashed, etc., worked nicely but with medium settings only.
- · Dead Space 2 was the only one that could pull 45+ FPS on High settings.
- · GTA IV with ICE mod was not fairly playable but turning the resolution down to 1024X768 kept the FPS between 35-40 but also made the graphics a little bad than higher resolution.
The card is definitely not for hardcore gaming (not even for advanced gaming). It is for those people who travel a lot or want to play games once in a while or at least want an option open to play games when they want it.
Many of the listed games looked great even on low settings, so casual gamers will be happy to play even on low settings. Online games like Diablo III, Sims 3, Skyrim, WoW, etc. worked flawlessly and can be played on medium to high settings.
The card makes the laptop a little bit bulkier than Radeon HD 7670M, but the performance difference is significant because minimum frame rates matter in smooth gameplay.
This card is not safe for a future purchase because it will run out of power in just a year and will not be able to play games of 2014 in medium settings.
So, future prospect of this card from gaming point of view are not good. But for HD movies, decoding, encoding, etc. the card will last for as long as you can keep it running.
As I said above, the card runs cool and special edition of 15R has angular vents are much effective than previous models.
My recommendation is still the same. Don’t buy it from gaming point of view only because you will be disappointed. But if you have only 3 or 4 games in your mind and they are not that much demanding then this laptop will do the trick for you.
Please leave any queries or suggestions in the comment field below and I will be happy to reply you back.