The Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media
How is it important to know the Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media?
When you are into social networking sites, you may not be aware of its advantages and disadvantages. You may not know how it could affect and influence someones or your own reputation and characteristics. The following things are what you need to know about the good and bad effects of using social media.
What are the Advantages?
- Worldwide communication- Since the internet is a source of information, it gives us open connections. There is no faster way in searching for our old college friends, grade teachers or even our first crush using social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and Instagram. These sites were very famous in giving connections to individuals and interact via the Internet. Anyone can interact with friends or even make new friends, personal bases and business matters by communicating with other people anywhere in the world.
The following are variety of things which individuals seek through such connections:
1.) Finding romantic relationships
2.) Making friends
3.) Searching for a job
4.) Giving or receiving career advices and personal matter or issues
5.) Assistance for location
6.) Advertising business products and services
- Live Sharing of Information- We get instant messaging features in mostly all of social networking sites. Because of these, we can have exchanges of information via chat which are beneficial. For example, social networking provides tools for businesses to interact with clients for promoting and receiving feedback from products and services. Aside from these, they can also widen their business contacts. Organizers can also use to update meeting and conferences for attendees. Additionally, social networking sites are beneficial when it comes to teaching. Many teachers use these to facilitate classroom discussions. Since the internet could be considered as an online textbook, most of the students do not need to take out books in library much more what they need to know.
- Sharing of Common Interests- As what they say, "Birds with the same feather, flock together." When participating in social networking sites, anyone can choose those individuals who have the same interests and build their own groups. For example, if you are a sports lover, you can find anyone whose likes and dislikes are the same as yours. There is no limitation in joining more groups and communities as long as your connections to your friends are firm. Aside from this, you can meet them anytime whenever you find them online.
- Advertising for free- There are hundred ways to get your message in front of millions of people anytime and anywhere. You can promote products and services regarding your businesses and even if you are a non-profit organization who needs to have an advertisement or promoting some kind of things.
- Fast News Update- Because of the trending use of social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, many news organizations are now partnered with these sites in order to both collect and spread information. Anyone can know what is going on in the world by simply watching trending topics from these sites. This had led to the rapid development of news cycle because millions of social networking users update and spread news.
What are the Disadvantages?
- Online Bullying and Crime against Children- Individuals are exposed to harassment or inappropriate contact from others when using social networking sites. More likely children could be exposed to pornography or other inappropriate content if parents will not filter the Internet content in which their families are exposed.
- Identity Theft- Millions of people are now putting their personal information at risk by simply posting it on public sites such as social communities. Because of these, anyone who is clever enough to access it can get the information they posted on the Internet. These things could be dangerous because most thieves need just a few pieces of personal information to steal someone's identity and can possible make life miserable.
- Eliminates Face-to-Face Interaction- Because of the wide usage of social media, face-to-face socialization are minimized. Individuals are free to create a fantasy persona and can pretend to be someone else. Sometimes when you are talking to someone, it is hard to say no, be rude or ignore them when looking in the eye. So when in social communities, it is simply easy to unfriend or un-follow someone. Anyone can block their efforts to make a connection. This feature of online socialization can cripple one's social skills development. Most who are at high risks are teens because those years are when they are learning to interact, build and maintain relationships to others. Also, children in these age groups cannot find time to interact with their peers or others which may reduce the development of their social skills.
- Waste of Time- Some reports explain that social networking can be a big waste of time. Instead of doing valuable time like social connections and making important business matters, most people are enjoying non-productive activities. They are easy to become distracted and addicted on games, online chats and other non-related works.