Android Game Review - Game Dev Story
Do you ever think that if given a chance you could design the most awesome game of all time? Well why not give it a shot? Head to the android market and download the free trial of Game Dev Story and see if you have what it takes to steer your fledgling game company to the top of the gaming world.
Game Dev Story's Concept
Game Dev Story is a simulation game that centers around a newly founded game development company. You start off in a modest office with a couple staff members, a helpful secratary and little bit of cash to start work on your first game. From there you can hire more staff and level them up, increasing their stats in different areas of game development and thus improve the over all quality of the games you start pumping out. RPG nerds rejoice!
Once you decide to start working on a new game for you company you also have to choose the genre and type of game. More types and genres can be unlock as you level your staff. After you decide what might sell well, your staff gets to work and starts pumping out 4 categories stats that determine the overall quality of your game. The 4 categories are Fun, Creativity, Graphics and Sound. You get a certain amount of time for your staff to work on the game to get the game stats as high as they can in those categories. Watching your staff work away and the numbers start to skyrocket feels amazing. Especially when staff members get breakthroughs and really stack it on.
Finally once your game is complete you have to do some advertising. You can dump money in everything from basic internet ads all the way up to the evil genius caliber moon advertisements. This is what makes the game so much fun, the balancing when managing your money. Do you spend tons of money on advertising to increase your fan base or do you save up your cash so that you can make sure to purchase a a game development licence e for the next big console launch on the horizon?
Your end goal is to make the most money for your company by year 20 and also win as many awards for your games along the way. As you progress and meet certain requirements you can move to ever larger offices and hire more experienced staff as well as useful items to help boost your game stats and further level your staff. Finally the ultimate challenge comes when one of your staff levels up enough to become a Hardware Engineer and you can now go about building your companies first console!
Best Game on the Android Market
So what exactly makes this game one of the best out there? There are oh so many reasons.
- It's a completely new and fresh take on the business simulation game. I have never played anything remotely similar. This isn't just another physics game knock off of angry birds.
- Despite it's fresh concept, Game Dev Story is old school through and through. It doesn't go for 3D graphics or fancy sound effects. Instead it's art style is nolstalgic to the core with 2d sprites and and isometric backgrounds.
- Amazing replay value. If you get this game, you will sink hours and hours into several play throughs. The first time around you'll spend most of your time learning the ropes and by the second and third time around you'll have the game largely mastered. But beyond that there are numerous easter eggs to unlock and find and some of your stats carry over from previous games allowing you to achieve ever higher levels of success.
- Great value. If you are looking for a game that will give you the most bang for your buck then this is the game for you. It's incredibly addicting yet priced reasonably at $4.82.
- Free demo version allows you to play 2 full years in game time and get a feel for the game.
- Kairo is a small indy Japanese game developing company and this is their first attempt on the Android. Support small developers!
- You get to name every game that comes out and the consul you develope! Be hilarious and creative!