Best British Inventions of All Time
Inventions From The U.K.
Which is The Best?
Which is your favorite British invention?
10 Thing's Brought To Us From Scotland
Top Ten British Inventions
1. Telephone (Alexander Graham Bell) In 1876, Alexander Bell, patented the first telephone and true communication took off to a new level and set in motion technology we see today in I-Phones and the technology we have with the phone today. This is without a doubt one of the top ten inventions in history not just British history. If you believe different just honestly imagine having no way to contact family, friends or your work other than driving to them or sending a telegram.
2. Light Bulb (Joseph Swan) Swan proposed a light bulb in 1880 and shocked the world. It is must easier to change an occasional light bulb then it is to constantly use candles or lanterns constantly. Imagine if every time you went to the bathroom or wanted to turn on a light you had to her a lighter and light lanterns and candles. The light bulb is over looked but, it was great technology that helped lead to even greater successes.
3. Hip Replacement (John Charnley) Charnley invented the hip replacement after years of study in 1962. This surgery has helped untold thousands of people to walk again. Hip replacement involves replacing a damaged hip joint with a prosthetic implant to mimic the original joint. Doing this operation also has helped thousands of people relieve unbearable arthritis pain in that area. Some may argue that this invention should be number one but, phones and lighting are a major part of medical procedures and medical emergencies.
4. Photography (William Henry Fox Talbot) Photography was set in motion officially because of Talbot who in 1840 perfected turning negative prints into appealing prints. This is a major invention if you think about it because before he patented his inventions, pictures not only took a long time to print but they were ultra, grainy and almost cartoonish. He helped to lead the way so that we get to use one time use cameras, smart phone cameras and digital cameras.
5. Toothbrush (William Addis) Addis created the first toothbrush in 1780 and it hit the stores selling like hot cakes as they say. This is a very important dental invention. Imagine having no toothbrush every single day. Our teeth would all be gone by the time we as a society reached thirty years of age. This invention helped pave a path that has led to advanced dental hygiene products.
6. Lawnmower (Edwin Beard Budding) The lawnmower was invented in 1827 and it changed the way we viewed our yards. This began the process of growing grass on purpose and having manicured lawns rather than dirt yards. Folks in the old days used to have to whack grass down with a scythe and do it all day now people use gas lawn mowers, riding lawn mowers and even electric lawn mowers.
7. Military Tank (Ernest Swinton) Swinton perfected the tank in 1915 for use in military operations. These tanks have led to thousands of lives being saved during combat and many improvements in the battlefield. Tanks are used for protection of soldiers, recovering things and of course fighting in battle. Military tanks come equipped with high tech armor and they are driven by a man inside in the center who has the ability to shoot missiles.
8. Jet Engine (Frank Whittle) In 1791 Whittle gets credit for the jet engine and in turn technology has helped propel jet engine use to include rockets, pulse a jets and turbofans. This has allowed for unmanned aircraft, missiles that are radar guided and many more helpful military uses. Jet engines are used for recreational purposes such as drag racers who use the power for the quick boost.
9. Electric Motor (Michael Faraday) In 1821 Faraday discovered and taught on the subject of electromagnetic rotation which had major repercussions in terms in automobile technology. Some see this invention as old and out dated but, think what this has done for transportation. What if instead of an electric motor yon had to catch a steam train or a carriage pulled by a horse. We owe a lot to this man, brilliant.
10. ATM (John Shepherd-Barron) Automated teller machines or ATM's first hit the market in 1967 after being created five years earlier. This was a great idea because you can get quick cash out your account after hours at a bank. This makes banking more convenient for the customer to get to their money, no matter whether a teller is available or not. This is a great concept and most all banks today have an ATM for their customers.
Top British Engineering Inventions
Two- Stroke Engine
Internal Combustion Engine
Top English Appliance Inventions
Fire Extinguisher (George William Manby) The fire extinguisher hit the market in 1818 and it has helped save lives and quench many fires.
Light Switch (John Holmes) In 1884 the light switch was first presented and it has sure made using electricity a cinch.
Mouse Trap (James Henry Atkinson ) The rat traps first were invented in 1894 and they were great for getting rid of rodents in and around your home.
Electric Toaster (Rookes Crompton) In 1893 Crompton created the first electric butter toaster and it put an instant smile on homemakers everywhere.
Rubber Band (Stephen Perry ) The rubber band was created as we see it today in 1845 and it has many useful purposes.
view quiz statistics
Marquess of Queensbury
The Marquess of Queensbury were first drafted in England in the late 1800's. They became Boxing's standard rules worldwide by 1892. The rules introduced gloves and hand wraps in prizefighting as well as three minute rounds with a one minute rest period in between each stanza. The rules have been tweaked over the years especially in the name of boxer safety but the conspcept began in the United Kingdom and they are considered the father of modern boxing.
British Inventions A To Z
Articles on Inventions
- Best Inventions of the 1940's
This article documents the top inventions of the 1940's. The Microwave Oven, Silly Putty, Velcro, Tupperware and the Transistor Radio are featured in this invention hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps, a quiz and commentary are listed in this
- Asimo Robot and other Honda Technologies
This article describes some of Honda's top inventions. Cars, vans, motorcycles, Pressure Washers and Garden Tillers are listed in this hub and of course the Honda robot called Asimo.
- Top 10 Auto Inventions of All Time
This car and truck hub is referring to the best inventions made for cars. Items like the built in camera that shows your rear view, the GPS and the car phone are listed in this blog.
- Top Medical Inventions of The 1990's
This medical hub documents ten inventions or advancements in the medical field. Vaccines for Lyme Disease and Hepatitis B are listed here along with photos, videos and commentary throughout.
- Best Inventions of the 1960's
This article is about the top inventions of the 1960s. The Halogen Lamp, Acrylic Paint, Ram, Audio Cassettes and Hand Held calculators are documented in this hub. You Tube videos, pictures, polls, maps and commentary are listed in this invention hub.
Britain's Greatest Machines
© 2014 Buster Johnson