Best Free Photo Image Editing Software Programs That are Alternatives to Photoshop
Just about everyone has a need to edit photos or images on a computer at some time or another. If you only need to casually edit, you do not need to pay for an expensive image editor such as Photoshop. There are many free photo image editors available that provide many of the useful features that an expensive program such as Photoshop provides. These free photo image editing software programs allow you to enhance, edit, and create high-quality images without making a big investment of several hundred dollars in a professional-grade photo image editor. Of course, some are more suitable than others, based on one's specific needs.
InPixio Photo Clip Makes It Easy To Enhance Photos Before Posting Them Online
Free Photo Image Editors That Are Easy To Use
The following are two of the best free photo image editing programs available for instant download that are basic and easy to use. These free editors offer a variety of useful features with an easy to use graphical interfaces that suit the requirements of just about everyone.
- Fotor has an easy to use graphical interface that can be used to quickly edit photographs without a hassle. It can be accessed online through a browser or can be downloaded for free onto a Windows computer or an Apple or Android-based smartphone. While the free version of this sleek and intuitive piece of software has limitations, it provides plenty of useful basic photo editing effects and formatting capabilities that will fill the need for most casual users.
- InPixio Photo Clip provides an easy way of producing professional looking images that can easily be shared and posted online. What makes it easy to use is its design that includes one-click access to basic image editing tools that can be used quickly to enhance and edit photos. It also provides frames and designs that can be easily incorporated into photos to enhance them, as well as a number of tools that can be used to quickly crop, resize, and change the contrast of photos. For those who like to use Facebook, Inpixio Photo Clip provides a direct interface for posting photos, which comes in handy for people that like to work on the go.
Paint.net is One of the Easiest Photoshop Alternatives To Use That Incorporates Many of Photoshop's Features
Free Sophisticated Photo Image Editors That Have Many of Photoshop's Features
If you are looking for a free photo imaging editor that has advanced features similar to those found in Photoshop, the following list provides some of the best options currently available.
- Paint.net is a free and open source image editor that was initially created in the spring of 2004 by a student attending Washington State University. The one limitation this useful graphics editing program has is that it is only available on Windows-based platforms. I use Paint.net for my image editing projects. While it includes some Photoshop-like features, such as breaking an image into editable layers, transparency, and blending, it is generally useful for less complicated projects that do not require a high level of editing. It has its own image format known as a .PDN that allows image formatting information to be saved such as layered information so it can be edited in the future using the program's advanced features.
- GIMP, which is available on the Linux, macOS, Microsoft Windows, BSD, Solaris platforms, is known as “The Free & Open Source Image Editor.” The GIMP acronym stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program. This is also one that I personally use. For a free and open-source photo image editor, it has an amazingly wide variety of image editing features. It really offers a lot of the features found in Photoshop. Perhaps not the most sophisticated features that professional graphic designers use, but it certainly has just about any feature a casual image editing software user would need. Since it is an open source software that was created and is maintained by volunteers, it is entirely free. Users can make donations to the project that supports GIMP if they find the software useful. GIMP uses the .XCF file format to save specific project information so that images can be edited in the future using the program's advanced features.
- PIXLR is an interesting photo and image editing program that is available online through any browser that supports flash, as a smartphone app, and as a program for PC and Mac computers. It is available as a full version for online and computer users and a slimmed down version for smartphones called PIXLR Express. It is a good choice if you live a mobile lifestyle and log onto the Internet to get work done anywhere while traveling or on the go. The full version offers many of the features offered by Photoshop, while PIXLR Express is useful for those who want to quickly jazz up images and don't need sophisticated features. Its ease of use and mobility has made it a favorite among online marketers that are constantly creating catchy images.
GIMP Is a Freeware Graphical Editor That Mimics Many of Photoshop's Features
How to Use GIMP (Beginners Guide)
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 John Coviello