Best Inventions of the 1950s
The 50s at a Glance
Which is Your Favorite?
Which is Your Favorite Invention of the 1950s?
Creations of the 50s
1. Hovercraft: A hovercraft is also known as an air-cushion vehicle. This vehicle is more than capable of traveling over land, water, mud or ice and most any other surfaces without getting stuck in any way. Also, they have lights, a horn and safety devices attached to them. The craft does just what it says, it hovers just at the surface of the ground. This aircraft has the ability to travel at very high speeds. My fear would be of having a major wreck and I would be the one to have a really bad one probably. These are used in the swamps of Florida or in the bayou of Louisiana, as a means of quick transportation where you can not travel by boat or by foot. Then, I picture, if you were to have a wreck it would not be be good conditions and end up with some snakes or alligators.
2. Pacemaker: One of the primary purposes of the pacemaker, is to maintain the same heart rate either because the heart's rhythm is not as fast as the doctor wants it to be. It could be that the heart beats out of rhythm or there is a block in the heart's electrical system. This medical advancement has literally saved thousands of lives. It is an amazing device that should not be around microwaves because the actual microwave 'waves' affect the pacemaker's ability to function properly. Another thing that a patient with a pacemaker will want to keep in mind is that with a pacemaker, you can't have a MRI done on you. The MRI machine operates with a large magnet and you really do not want the pacemaker ripped out by the MRI machine. Always ask to get a CT scan done instead.
3. Computer Modem: The computer has come a long way over the years and has changed in it's design. They have become a lot smaller, sleeker and cheaper. While computers used to be more of a desk top version, there are more portable models now in the form of laptops. You can do so much now on a computer that it might just blow your mind. Computer modems used to be quite bulky but, now with the advancements in technology, the modems have gotten a lot smaller and a lot more powerful.
4. Hula Hoop: A large plastic tube that is shaped in a circle, the plastic tube is hollow in the center. The idea is that you put the plastic ring around your waist. You move your hips back and forth and the hula hoop will go flying around your waist. This toy slash exercise item is still popular with kids and adults today. There are many different colors of hula hoops, stripes and solids. Hula Hoops can still be purchased at toy stores today.
5. Bar Code: The bar code is an optical machine-readable wealth of information about the product that is scanned at the register. It makes buying groceries or clothing for that matter, much easier than having to hand key each and every digit on an item. It not only helped out employees but customers as well by making shopping that much quicker and more convenient.
6. Black Box: Airplane Recorder: A metal box that is placed inside the cockpit of the airplane. It records talking or any distress call across the headsets. If there is a problem or a distress call, the black box will record the events. Anything pertaining to plane safety is a great innovation indeed. when 9/11 happened in our country, the black box gave very specific clues that we would not have known otherwise as to why the plane crashed.
7. Credit Card: Easy to use and also easy to get out of control. If you use your credit card, you will want to pay your credit card off each month as not to add on additional fees. They come in very handy when you run out of cash and most of them let you get cash advances. Watch out with the cash advances. They sound great at the time when you need the cash but, they are typically paid back at a higher percentage rate.
8. Optical Fibers: The only optical fibers that I know of would be the optical fibers in the cable, the optical fibers that are in some electrical games. This invention has helped in the electrical field and in the capuse of safety as well.
9. Super Glue: A great invention when regular Elmer's glue isn't strong enough. One word of advice, be careful that the glue doesn't stick to the skin. It's almost impossible to get the two unstuck. Super or Crazy glue is great for plastic, mertal or wood and it usually works.
10. Laser Beams: The main thing that I think of when I think of a laser beam is the beam that is used when using a laser level. The other laser beam that jumps out is the laser lights that are on guns. At any rate these inventions have came along with in 60 years. They are used on guns, toys and most importantly during medical surgeries.
Please feel free to tell me your favorite invention of the 50's in the comments box located at the bottom of this page.
Invention Quality Ranking
Links To Inventions
- Best Medical Inventions of the Early 1900s
This article describes the top medical invention from the early 1900s. The first blood transfusion, vitamins discovery and Aspirin development were among the biggest medical advancements.
- Best Medical Inventions of the 1990s
This medical hub documents ten inventions or advancements in the medical field. Vaccines for Lyme Disease and Hepatitis B are listed here along with photos, videos and commentary throughout.
- Best Medical Inventions of the 1950s
Polio Vaccines, The first open heart surgery, DNA discovered and the Pacemaker are just some of the major medical breakthroughs that are featured in this medical inventions hub.
- Best British Inventions of All Time
The people of England are responsible for several life altering inventions including the Light Bulb, Telephone, Photography and the hip replacement. Pictures, youtube videos and other facts are here.
- Asimo Robot and other Honda Technologies
This article describes some of Honda's top inventions. Cars, vans, motorcycles, Pressure Washers and Garden Tillers are listed in this hub and of course the Honda robot called Asimo.
- Top 10 Auto Inventions of All Time
This car and truck hub is referring to the best inventions made for cars. Items like the built in camera that shows your rear view, the GPS and the car phone are listed in this blog.
Hoola Hoops are fun for children and adults alike. This invention is still a big selling toy to this very day. Children and adults alike can exercise and dance with the hola for hours of entertainment. You can also do the Hoola Dance competition and see who can last the longest. Do singles competition or play on teams.
© 2012 Buster Johnson