Best Inventions of the 1980s
A Glance at the 80s
Which is Your Favorite Invention?
Which is Your Favorite Invention of the 1980s?
Ten Great 1980s Inventions
There are many amazing inventions that were invented during the 1980s but, the ones on this list stand out to me a little more than the rest.
1. Space Shuttle: An amazing way to explore space. In the 1980s a teacher was sent into space on The Space Shuttle Challenger, and the space shuttle exploded. This was a sad day in U.S. History but, especially for the men and women from The Space Program as well. At any rate, the space shuttle sets the stage for all future space missions. No one has given up on space exploration even, after this tragic event. The other tragic thing about this situation is that so many of us were watching at school. Kids, teachers, workers and that does not include the entire national and around the globe were watching as well. You can hear the gasp, when the space shuttle exploded. It was eerie. At the same, we could not look away.
2. Compact Disc/CD: An excellent way to store music vs. cassette tapes. Cassette tapes are outdated and it is hard to find a tape player any longer. I have hundreds of CD's and I love all kinds of music. I have everything in my CD case from Beethoven to Kid Rock. Music is a very personal thing and people are very different. If it is something that you don't necessarily like, don't make them feel bad for liking what they like. People have surprised me over the years with the kind of music that they like. CD's were a great improvement to cassette tapes. Tapes would work fine but, a lot of the time they sounded grainy and if the cassette tape got pulled out and eaten, sometimes they were impossible to fix.
3. Apple Computers: Steve Jobs and his partner were the two individuals who started the Apple Computer Corporation. Were the first home computers. the beginning there was a big floppy disk, then we had the 3.5" disk. Now, we have flash drives that we just pop in and out of the computer. Now the computers don't necessarily need to have a place for a floppy disk. In fact, I know computers don't have a place for the 3.5" disk. They now have a place for CD's.
4. Doppler Radar: Used in weather predicting, Doppler Radar is a very useful tool in helping to save lives over the years. With Doppler Radar, weather forecasters have become a lot more accurate in giving as far as down to what street a tornado, thunderstorm, heavy winds or any other weather event is headed. Even lightning strikes can be recorded and the forecasters can tell how many strikes per minute. Different areas around the state are weather watchers as well as the television station has set up weather stations around the state to let them measure the current conditions. This is truly fascinating.
5. Disposable Camera: This device has become very popular over the last several years. There is now an underwater camera that takes really good pictures down to 30-40 feet. There is certainly a more expensive camera that would be disposable but, my little cheap disposable cameras work fine for now. If if lost the camera by chance I would not feel as bad because, I would know I did no l When I was learning to scuba dive, I used this camera and was well pleased. Because of this camera, I was able to make some awesome pictures, and make memories that I will not be able to capture again.
6. Microsoft Windows: Developed in 1983, by Microsoft, this is a computer program's first version of programs included the following: Windows Paint, Windows Write, a simple word processing program and simple features like control panel, notepad, clock, computer terminal and a clipboard. The graphics are easy to understand and this is a great computer program.
7. Disposable Contact Lenses: A very great invention and an improvement in the medical field. Such freedom is given to people with contacts vs. someone who wears glasses. You do not have the extra hardware on your face if you have contacts. Contact lenses have come a long way in that used to, you weren't able to sleep in the contact but, now with certain brands you can. Contacts are more breathable than what they used to be. This does allow you to sleep in them at night.
8. 3D Video Games: Nintendo first launched it's 3D games in 2011 in Japan. Amazing to see how the graphics have changed over the years. Now 3D? I look at graphic design and I think how smart someone is to write all of these games. Some amazing 3D games are Mario 3D Land, Rayman, War Commander and Sonic, The Hedgehog. Kids now a days don't fully appreciate how great there graphics in the games are today.
9. HDTV: Almost all TV's now a days have high definition capabilities. There is an extra charge on the cable bill to pay for high definition. The picture is so very clear that it makes you want to spend the extra money to have the clearer picture.
10. Super Conductor: A system that stores energy in the magnetic field, created by the flow of direct current in a superconducting coil that has been cooled to a temperature using the cooling process called cryogenic. This process cools the conductor down below it's superconducting critical temperature.
Invention Quality Ranking
Links To Inventions
- Top Medical Inventions of the 1940s
This blog features the best medical advancements during the 1940s. Penicillin, Pladtic Surgery, Terberculosis Antibiotics and The Kidney Dialysis Machine are listed in this hub along with pictures.
- Best Inventions of the 1930s
This article is about the top inventions of the 1930s. The Helicopter, The Ball Point Pen, Fiber Glass and the Jet Engine are documented in this hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed here as well.
- Best Inventions of the 1940s
This article documents the top inventions of the 1940s. The Microwave Oven, Silly Putty, Velcro, Tupperware and the Transistor Radio are featured in this invention hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps, a quiz and commentary are listed in this
- Best Inventions of the 1920s
In this 1920s invention article, your will find inventions listed such as traffic light, bandaid, hair dryer and sliced bread. You tube videos, a poll, pictures and commentary are included in this hub.
- Remembering Steve Jobs: Inventor and Innovator
This article is about Apple Computer founder Steve Jobs. He brought us the first wave of personal computers as well as the Ipod, Iphone and I pad. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are featured in this hub.
Space Is The Final Frontier
Launching space shuttles into space is still an amazing event watched by millions. Although we have learned so much about space and the solar system over the years we still have a very long way to go in space exploration.
© 2012 Buster Johnson