- Computers & Software»
- Computer Software»
- Utilities Software
Best Mac Data Recovery Freeware
What to Do if You Have Lost Data
Not all data can be guaranteed totally secure. Data loss may happen anytime and anywhere. That's when a professional data recovery freeware is of high importance. Here are the two best free file recovery programs for you to use in order to salvage deleted, formatted, corrupted, or inaccessible data from Mac-based devices.
If you have lost data, there is a good chance that you can recover it, especially if you have only lost one file. If you have lost a sizable amount of data, there is a good chance that you can recover some or even most of it.
As soon as you realize you have lost data, stop doing any further work on the computer. Immediately download one of the following programs and attempt to recover it. Putting it off and continuing to create, modify, and download files will decrease the chances of you being able to recover the data.
What are the Best Free Data Recovery Programs?
It’s really hard to find a piece of Freeware which can recover deleted files from Mac. Most demo versions are only available for scan and preview, and require you to upgrade to full version to retrieve files. Searching the Internet, I discovered two free recovery tools for Mac users.
MiniTool Data Recovery
MiniTool Data Recovery is built to recover data from IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB hard disks, memory cards, USB flash drives, and iPods. As of this Hub's publication, it was the most popular recovery tool for Mac on CNET for free.
- Once you have downloaded the application, click on it to launch.
- It will ask, "Choose a module to start recovery: Undelete Recovery, Damaged Partition Recovery, Lost Partition Recovery, Digital Media Recovery, or CD/DVD Recovery." Click on the option that applies. (See below for clarification on some of the options.)
- If you would like to recover files that have been reformatted, click Damaged Partition Recovery.
- If you would like to recover data from a flash drive, mp3 player, or iPod, click Digital Media Recovery.
Data Rescue for Mac
"Outstanding," say the editors of CNET when it comes to this recovery app. Part of what makes this app easy to use is the animated interface. This app is also available on CNET.
- The first step to recovering your files with this app is to click Start New Scan.
- Click on the hard drive or volume on which the lost files are located, then click Next.
- Select the task you would like the app to perform on your hard drive. If you have accidentally deleted a file, click Deleted File Scan. For all other files, first try Quick Scan. If the app does not recover all files, click Deep Scan.
- The app will pull up two folders, Found Files and Reconstructed Files. Note that Reconstructed Files will no longer have the same file name that they had when you previously saved them. Sift through these folders, by clicking on files, then clicking Preview in the bottom right. Alternately, you can filter the results using the Search bar.
- To recover the files, highlight the file or files you want to recover. Click and drag the highlighted file(s) into you preferred destination on the hard drive.
Just select either of these data recovery freewares for Mac to get your beloved files as well as wonderful memories back.