Best Medical Inventions of all Time
Creations in The Medical Field
Which is The Best Invention?
Which is the Best Medical Invention?
Inventions in the Medical Field
1. Artificial Heart (1982): An artificial heart can be used to bridge the time between the actual heart transplant or an actual replacement of the heart. This is an amazing invention, that has been put to great use for the good of man kind. Who would have ever thought about the ability to have an artificial heart that will function as a heart that you were with. This technology has saved thousands of lives over the decades. Without this invention who knows where we would be today?
2. MRI Machine (1977): This type of equipment is called a Magnetic Resonance Imaging Machine. It uses a large magnet to shoot images including bones, brain, different soft tissues and muscles which make it especially useful vs. using a CT machine or traditional x-rays in diagnostic treatment. If a patient has a pacemaker, then they can not have a MRI scan, they MUST have a CT (cat scan) performed. Over the years the quality of the images becoming clearer with the use of digital images instead of film. Now, patients can carry their images to the doctor's office on CD if needed or, the images can be sent electronically to be read and the results signed off on. This is a great tool to help the doctor diagnose illness or breaks in bones.
3. Dialysis Machine (1943): This machine has to be used for patients with renal (kidney) failure. Patients may have to go to dialysis several days a week and they may have to be at kidney dialysis for several hours at a time. Kidney dialysis provides an aid in the process of removing waste and excess water from the blood from the kidneys. A machine has to aid in this process because the body has had something, some damage to the kidney and the body can not rid the body of these fluids can't do it on it's own. This could be due to cancer or kidney disease.
4. Laser Surgery (1960): There are several different types of laser surgeries. There are laser surgeries for varicose veins, laser surgeries can be performed on the eyes, laser surgery to remove the appendix and other organs and body parts. Laser surgery can be used to smooth out the skin, remove scar tissue and in some cases, can be used to aid in the removal of unwanted tattoos. Laser surgeries have come a long way over the years and with the medical advancements, the lasers keep getting more accurate which makes them more precise and a lot easier to use. Recovery times are much quicker with the less invasive laser surgery. Many laser surgeries are outpatient surgeries. Some can even be done in the doctor's office without having to pay the co-pay for the hospital. This just means it is cheaper for you and the insurance is not charged a facility fee.
5. Wheelchair: Wheelchairs are used to transport patients from one area to another. These are especially handy if the patient is required to walk a long way and they are unable to due to a broken bone or maybe, because they get short of breath walking a long distance. They are most used after surgery to transport patients from the hospital to their cars. If a patient has had any type of anesthesia, they are not allowed to walk out of the hospital on their own. They are always transported to the car by wheelchair. If a wheelchair used for a handicapped person, wheelchairs come with motors and controls to make it easier to maneuver.
6. X-rays: A diagnostic test used to diagnose broken bones, dislocated bones and this is used as a way to rule out if there's any fracture. When a patient comes to our office we have to order a X-ray before a MRI can be ordered (this is what is required by insurance).
7. Stethoscope: There are many different styles and brands of stethoscopes. A stethoscope can be used to check BP, listen to the heart and for listening to the lungs. The stethoscope can be placed on the chest to listen to the heart to make sure the rhythm is strong and regular. To listen to the lungs the stethoscope is placed on the back and the patient is then instructed to take in some deep breaths.
8. Thermometer: A device/instrument that measures the body's temperature. If the body has an infection, then the body's temperature will rise and sometimes sweat. This is the body's natural defense against infection.
9. Radiation Therapy: Radiation is used in the treatment of different types of cancer. Different amounts of radiation are given to the patient. Radiation therapy is usually localized to one area because it is made to aim in a certain area where the cancerous tumor is located. The radiation zaps the cancer cells. Along with radiation always comes the side effects from the radiation. Every patient is different and you really may not know what kind side effect or reaction that you may have to the radiation until you get started on the treatment.
10. Hypodermic Syringe: Syringes are used everyday in the medical field. The syringes are used for a number of things. Syringes are used to draw up and give medications. They are also used in drawing off fluid. The needles can come with the syringe or there are syringes and needles that are separate. This way you can choose what size needle that you need.
Medical Invention Ranking
Links To Inventions
- Top Medical Inventions of the 1940s
This blog features the best medical advancements during the 1940s. Penicillin, Plastic Surgery, Tuberculosis antibiotics and The Kidney Dialysis Machine are listed in this hub along with pictures.
- Best Inventions From 2000-2010
This article documents inventions that were created from 2000 till 2010. The I-Phone, I-Pad and 3D TV are just a few of the items listed in this hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos, a quiz and commentary are featured in this travel hub.
- Best Inventions of the 1930s
This article is about the top inventions of the 1930s. The helicopter, The ball point pen, fiber glass and the jet engine are documented in this hub. Pictures, Youtube videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed here as well.
- Best Inventions of the 1980s
This article is about the top inventions of the 1980s. Microsoft Windows, Space Shuttle, Doppler Radar and Apple Computers are documented in this inventions hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls and commentary are featured in this hub.
- Best Inventions of the 1950s
This article is about the top inventions of the 1950s. The credit card, Super Glue, Hovercraft, Hoola Hoops and the computer mouse were invented in this era. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls, a quiz and commentary are also featured in this hub
- Best Inventions of the 1960s
This article is about the top inventions of the 1960s. The halogen lamp, acrylic paint, RAM, audio cassettes and handheld calculators are documented in this hub. Youtube videos, pictures, polls, maps and commentary are listed in this invention hub.
- Asimo Robot and other Honda Technologies
This article describes some of Honda's top inventions. Cars, vans, motorcycles, Pressure Washers and Garden Tillers are listed in this hub and of course the Honda robot called Asimo.
The Inner Workings of an MRI Machine
30 Amazing Inventions
© 2012 Buster Johnson