- Internet & the Web
Book Review Problogger
What Is Problogger?
Problogger is a blog helping others to add income strategies and make money from blogging. Essentially they are helping hobbyist bloggers take their work to the next level and become professional bloggers, with many now making a full time living from writing online.
Starting in 2004, the Problogger website now has over 3500 articles, a private community sister site Problogger.com and several exclusive products~including Problogger the book, based on the blog and co-authored with fellow professional blogger Chris Garrett.
ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
After the success of the Problogger website, Darren Rowse was asked to create a book based on the blog itself. He teamed up with Chris Garrett and together the two professional bloggers set about compiling, editing and adding to the most useful and popular posts.
Due to the success of the first edition, updated versions have since been released, with the latest in March 2012. Each edition includes more information and keeps the books relevent to the latest trends in the blogging industry~ particularly on using social networks and bookmarking sites to increase traffic and sales.
Those that are not absolute beginners may find they already know a lot of the content, as it really does cover everything, but for bloggers who are just starting out this is the book for you. Problogger covers more than just making money, it goes in depth into every step of setting up a blog as well~ including even what to blog about!
How To Start A Blog
This book is ideal for beginners, because it goes right back to basics. The authors talk you through choosing your niche, blog platform, blog name and even the 20 most important things to do towrite a perfect post.
'Content is King' has not become the bloggers mantra for nothing and the book focuses on helping you create your best content as this is what will ultimately make you money. There is little point in selling products or advertising if the content isn't worth hanging around for.
Make Money Blogging
Now this is the main purpose of the book and yet is the smallest section. But as mentioned above this is for a very good reason. it is your content that will draw people in and encourage readers to spend their money. The book explores all the money making possibilities for a blog and explains why each one may or may not be suitable for your site. Covering topics such as affiliate marketing, advertising and producing your own products, Problogger helps you weigh up your options and gives you all the basic information you need to get started. I like the way the book also covers topics such as how to approach companies for advertising and other strategies for maximising profits and your time~ such as when and why to consider hiring writers.
So Is The Problogger Book Any Good?
- It's a handy reference with it's thorough index and helpful links.
- There's a special link included for those who bought the book to access free bonuses that are packed full of useful information and contacts.
- This book is particularly useful for complete beginners, but there is a lot of valuable advice for bloggers of all levels.
- It covers all aspects of blogging~ including marketing, costs and post frequency.
- It can waffle on a bit. I couldn't decide if it was the natural writing style of the authors or just to fill pages, but it did get a little irritating.
- It is a little biased towards Wordpress and Adsense. But the information could be transferred to other platforms.
- It's very conventional. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be nice to explore alternatives and get more creative with the possibilities.
Overall it's well worth the investment. Buying or searching for this information from other sources could take a lot longer and cost a lot more! These guys draw on their own experiences and use themselves as examples, so you know they are not just talking the talk, but have actually done what they suggest and with a lot of success too.