Building a Website using Wordpress - Downloading and Installing XAMPP
Developing on a local server
For this course we will develop the website on a local web server.
The local web server we will use for this course is XAMPP, the Windows version of LAMPP.
This server integrates:
- Apache: Which allows you to store your files just like if it was a an online hosting account.
- MySQL: A database web server connected to PhpMyAdmin, which is a service that you run from your browser so you can create and manage your databases.
- Filezilla: An integrated FTP client for you to upload your files through it to the Apache folder just like you would do using an online hosting account.
- TomCat Apache: This is a special Apache that works like an extension from the first one, that allows you to run JAVA and Java Applets on your server.
- Go to https://www.apachefriends.org
- Download the Windows Version of XAMPP
- Run the installation file
- Press “Next” until it asks you for installation folder
- Install all the services
- Install the server in the partition where you have your Windows installed, don’t install it on a secondary partition or different hard drive.
- Wait for the installation to unpack all the files
- Allow the installation setup to access your files
- Start the XAMPP Control Panel
- Start all the services
- Click on the Explorer in the Control Panel
- Locate the xampp-control.exe file in and create a desktop shortcut to it
- Minimize the Control Panel and keep it running in background
Download the instructions and troubleshooting file
© 2016 ThatSweetGirl