How to Change the Vibration of iPhone or iPad Home Button
With the rollout of iOS 10, Apple has made some significant changes to the Home button on the iPhone and iPad. The biggest change is that the Home button isn't a button, but rather a sensor that, by default, has a slight vibration when you press it. These vibrations provide what is called haptic feedback. One benefit of the button actually being a sensor it that Apple makes it possible for users to customize the intensity of the vibration when you press the Home button. The steps below outline how to change the home button vibration on your device.
Steps to Change iPhone or iPad Home Button Vibration
- Tap the "Settings" app on your iPhone or iPad Home screen.
- Select "General" in the fourth grouping of options on the Settings screen. The General screen appears on your device.
- Tap "Home Button." The Home Button option sits by itself in the third grouping of options on the General screen. The Choose Your Click screen appears. The numbers 1, 2, and 3 are displayed along the bottom of the screen. Each number is associated with a different vibration intensity you'll feel when you press the Home button. The number 1 is the lowest-intensity option, while the number 3 is the highest-intensity option.
- Tap the number you want to try. That number will move down to the bottom of the screen in a dark blue circle.
- Press the "Home" button to test the vibration intensity associated with that specific option.
- Press another number above. That number will now be moved to the bottom of the screen, where you can press the Home button to test it.
- Choose the number associated with the vibration intensity that works best for you so that it appears in the dark circle at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap "Done" in the upper right corner of the screen to save your changes. You'll now feel the vibration you set whenever you press the home button.
Can I Disable the Home Button Vibration?
You can disable nearly all other haptic feedback on the iPhone or iPad, but you can't disable the home button vibration. Across iOS, Apple uses haptic feedback in the form of subtle vibrations as an indicator for a large number of system notifications. For example, you'll feel a vibration when you use the pinch-zoom feature and reach the max zoom level or minimum zoom level. You'll also feel a vibration when you refresh a page, open the Spotlight feature, and toggle system features on and off. In most cases the vibration is barely noticeable, but if it's more than you can handle and you need to turn it off, you can disable other system haptics, excluding the vibration for the home button, using the following steps.
Steps to Disable All Other System Notification Vibrations on iPhone or iPad
- Tap "Settings" on your iPhone or iPad Home screen.
- Scroll down to the fourth section, and then tap "Sounds & Haptics." The Sounds & Haptics screen appears on your device.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Sounds & Haptics screen, and then toggle System Haptics to Off. The toggle will be set to Off when the button is moved to the left and the toggle is no longer shaded green. The home button will still vibrate, but almost all other haptic feedback will be disabled on your device.
How to Record iPhone or iPad Screen Using Built-in Screen Recording Feature
© 2017 Max Dalton