ChemDrawExcel12.xla could not be found
If you have used ChemOffice2010, and then proceeded to uninstall the whole thing and get error when you use Windows Excel or preview an excel file, you've come to the right place.
Every time I click a excel file, in the file previewer in Windows folder I get this error with a pop-up message saying:
C:\Program Files\CambridgeSoft\ChemOffice2010\ChemDraw for Excel\ChemDrawExcel12.xla could not be found
It's not only annoying but makes me worried as to the uninstaller that CambridgeSoft makes. Afterall searching "Cambridgesoft" in my registry editor found alot of left behind registry values and folders after uninstallation. I followed the direction on how to fix this problem from the PerkinElmer Informatics forum but it didn't help me. I followed their directions. First I went to registry editor by typing "regedit" from Start -> Run Then I followed the directions:
- In the left pane of the Registry editor, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then expand Software. Select the CambridgeSoft folder and then delete this folder and its contents.
- Now expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER and then Software folder. Select the CambridgeSoft folder and delete this one as well.
But the problem didn't go away.. I restarted and still the same problem. I did some digging, went back to registry and searched for "CambridgeSoft" and to my surprise there were a ton of these folders all over the place. I didn't want to break my computer so I searched carefully and found the registry setting to fix to clear this problem. This has been tested on Windows 7 x64, I can't guarantee that it will work on any other system and am not responsible if anything breaks, you should backup your registry before editing.
Go to the following location.
Not sure how to get there?
- First hit Start -> Run -> Type in "regedit"
- In the left panel of the Registry Editor, expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- A tree showing many folders should appear, expand the folder Software
- Expand Microsoft folder, then expand Office folder
- expand 14.0, and then expand Excel, and then Options folder
Inside the Options folder, on the right side there were two registry keys "OPEN" and "OPEN1". When i double clicked OPEN, I found this value:
"C:\Program Files\CambridgeSoft\ChemOffice2010\ChemDraw for Excel\ChemDrawExcel12.xla"
I replaced that with:
/R "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Library\Analysis\ANALYS32.XLL"
and hit OK, Next I saw OPEN1 registry key beneath OPEN, i double clicked that as well as saw something similar to this: "/A ChemDrawExcel12.cla"
I went and replaced that with
/R "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN.XLAM"
and hit OK, that's it.
I rebooted and clicked on a Excel file to preview, and no pop-ups.
This was tested on Windows 7 x64.