Control Your Computer from Anywhere in the World
Several Reasons to Control Your PC Over the Internet
There are many benefits to installing remote control software on your computer:
- Have access to your software, email, favourites, etc. from almost any computer in the world that has an Internet connection.
- Allow others to log in and do maintenance on your computer, or show you how to complete a difficult task.
- Check up on what is happening on your computer in your absense.
Remote Control Software That I Have Tried
- RealVNC - RealVNC remote control software
This is a good, solid product--but it requires some careful settings in your firewall and router to get it working. I find RealVNC most useful for controlling PCs that are on the same network, but I have used it for full remote control over the net.
- LogMeIn.com Hosted Remote Control Service
LogMeIn.com is my favourite remote control software solution. It is firewall and router friendly (a minimum of fuss to install ... I've walked many computer illiterates through the install over the phone without incidence). Solid free version rocks!
- SupportSmith - Remote Desktop, VNC and Live Customer Support
One of the first solutions I tried was SupportSmith ... and though my initial reaction was "Wow!", I soon found that the service was intermittent. There were times when it was down for a week or more--and I had to move on to more stable solutions.
Try Remote Desktop Software for Yourself
Even if you simply think, "hey, that is kind of neat", I suggest you take the plunge and install remote control software on your computer today. You never know when you will be "out and about" and suddenly want to, or need to, jump onto your computer from afar.
Remember, even if it is just a family barbecue at your cousin's house, and you want to show them the latest pictures you took of the new dog, you can log in to your PC from your cousin's computer and show them those photos. Although you are sitting in your cousin's house, it will be your desktop, files and software in front of you when you log in.