Copy Filter Results in Excel 2003
If you have filtered your data in Excel 2003 before, I am sure you have also tried copy and pasting the filtered results to another worksheet or workbook.
By default, Excel 2003 will copy all the data including the hidden records. Fortunately there is a feature for us to select only visible cells.
Let’s look at copying the filtered data shown below.
Copy Visible Cells Only
1. Select the cells that you want to copy
2. Click Edit > Go To or press Ctrl + G or press F5
3. Click the Special button at the bottom of the Go To dialogue box
4. Select Visible Cells Only
5. Click Ok
6. Click Edit > Copy or press Ctrl + C
Excel only copies the visible records, which can now be pasted into another worksheet, workbook or another application altogether.
Add the Select Visible Cells Button
To speed up this process the Select Visible Cells button can be added to a toolbar. Selecting visible cells will then just be at the click of a button.
1. Click Tools > Customize
2. Click the Commands tab
3. Select Edit in the Categories: list
4. Scroll down the Commands: list until you find Select Visible Cells
5. Click and drag the button onto a toolbar and position it where you want
The picture below shows the Select Visible Cells button positioned between the Sort Descending and Chart Wizard buttons on the Standard Toolbar.
To speed the process up even greater, record a macro in Excel that selects visible cells and copies themin one step.
In Excel 2007 and 2010, copy and paste will paste the filtered results so the steps mentioned above are unnecessary.