- Computers & Software»
- Operating Systems»
Creating And Working With Folders Using Windows XP
Creating Folders in Windows Explorer
Before proceeding be sure to read part 1 - Working with folders in Windows XP
Now, with the precious knowledge from part one on how to create folders, you can be able to create folders in other locations. Let us start by looking at how you can create folders in the windows explorer.
Windows explorer is an application used in Microsoft Windows to manage files. Using windows explorer, you can be able to create folders, copy, move, and rename files and folders.
- Click on start
- Point to all programs, then accessories,
- Click Windows explorer
Now, use the method we have learnt above of right clicking on an empty space and selecting new folder, or
- Click on file (on the menu bar)
- Click on new
- Then folder and click once
- Type the name of your folder
A folder Icon
Alternative Way of Creating a Folder
Creating a Folder on Your Flash Drive
On your left hand side on the task pane, there is an option of make new folder under the file and folder tasks.
Creating a Folder on Your Flash Drive or Any Other Removable Storage Media
This is easy, you only need to access your drive and create your folder using any of the above methods. To access your drive, double click on my computer icon on the desktop and locate your drive under the devices with removable storage. Double click to open the drive and create the folder(s) you want.
Creating a Short Cut to The Desktop
You can create a short cut to the desktop on any of your folders that you access regularly.
1. Right click on the folder or file you want to place on desktop as a short cut.
2. Then select send to.
3. Click on the option desktop (create short cut).
A short cut icon to your file or folder is placed on your desktop.
Compressing or Zipping Folders
Creating a Zipped Folder
When you compress a folder or even a file, you reduce its size and hence reducing the space they occupy on where they are stored. If you are to email documents and files in a folder, you should compress or zip them.
- Right click on the folder you want to compress (reduce the size). Make sure the folder is not empty; otherwise you won’t be able to compress it.
- Select send to compressed (zipped) folder.
- A zipped folder is created.
- Type in the name of your zipped folder.
To Create a Zipped Folder
It is possible to create a zipped folder using the first method we leant of creating a folder.
- Right click on an empty space on your desktop.
- Click on new.
- Then go down and select compressed (zipped) folder.
- Give your zipped folder a name
From there on you can copy and paste the items you want to have in your zipped folder.
Checking The Properties of a Folder
- Introduction to Computers
There are many people who still dont't know much about computers. This introduction to computers tutorials is intended for them, it can also be usefull to those who want to enhance their skills. For the beginner there is a lot to know about what is a
- Computer Base Unit or The Computer System Unit
The system unit is the box-like case that contains major computer’s electronic components (usually excluding the display, keyboard and mouse) which many people erroneously refer to the CPU.
- Introduction to Computer Basics
Computers are used almost everywhere we are living in this world. They are an important part of our lives. Yet there are people who don't know how to use them and that is why I have prepared this introduction to computer basics specifically for them.
You can be able to check the properties of your folder.
- Right click on the folder.
- Click on properties
You will be able to determine the type, location, size, size on disk, contains how many files and folders and when the folder was created.
You can also be able to assign attributes read-only and hidden. If you hide your folder, you won't be able to see it under windows explorer. To un-hide your folder, go windows explorer, click on tools, then folder options. On the dialog box that appears click on view and then on advanced settings, click on show hidden files and folders radio button. Click apply then okay. Advanced settings can also be applied here like sharing the folder on the network and you can also apply some customized settings on your folder.
Folder Creating Exercise
1. Create the following folders on the desktop:-
2. Open Europe and create the following sub-folders:-
3. Open Africa and create the following:-
4. Open South Africa and create the following:-
5. Open Kenya and create the following:-
6. Copy folder England to Africa
7. Copy folder Cameroon to England
8. Rename folder Central province to Nyanza
9. Delete folder Johannesburg.
Fact or fiction
Were you aware that you can not create a folder called con?
Don't let your work get scattered on your computer or desktop. Create a number of folders and save your work there.
And if you want to know why you can't create a folder called con on windows, check this link >>>
© 2012 Patrick Kamau