Creating and Working With Folders Using Windows Xp
A Folder Icon
Creating Folders in Windows Explorer
Before proceeding, be sure to read part 1 - Working with folders in Windows XP
Now, with the precious knowledge from part one on how to create folders, you can be able to create folders in other locations. Let us start by looking at how you can create folders in windows explorer.
Windows Explorer is an application used in Microsoft Windows to manage files. Using windows explorer, you can be able to create folders, copy, move, and rename files and folders.
The procedure of Creating Folders in Windows Explorer
- Click on start
- Point to all programs, then accessories,
- Click Windows Explorer
Now, use the method we have learned above of right-clicking on an empty area and select 'New Folder', or
- Click on the file (on the menu bar)
- Click on new
- Then folder and click once
- Type the name of your folder
Creating a Folder in Your Flash Drive
On your left-hand side on the task pane, there is an option to make a new folder under the file and folder tasks.
Creating a Folder on Your Flash Drive or Any Other Removable Storage Media
This is easy, you only need to access your drive and create your folder using any of the above methods.
To access your drive, double click on my computer icon on the desktop and locate your drive under the devices with removable storage.
Double click to open the drive and create the folder(s) you want.
Creating a Folder Short Cut to The Desktop
You can create a short cut to the desktop of any of your folders. This could be a folder you often access.
1. Right-click on the folder or file you want to place on the desktop as a short cut.
2. Then select send to.
3. Click on the option desktop (create short cut).
A short cut icon to your file or folder is placed on your desktop.
Creating a Zipped Folder
When you compress a folder or even a file, you reduce its size and hence reducing the space they occupy on where they are stored.
If you are to email documents and files in a folder, you should compress or zip them.
The procedure of Compressing a Folder
- Right-click on the folder you want to compress (reduce the size). Make sure the folder is not empty; otherwise you won’t be able to compress it.
- Select send to compressed (zipped) folder.
- A zipped folder is created.
- Type the name of your zipped folder.
How to Create a Zipped Folder
It is possible to create a zipped folder using the first method we leaned of creating a folder.
- Right-click on an empty area on your desktop.
- Click on new.
- Then go down and select the compressed (zipped) folder.
- Give your zipped folder a name
From there on you can copy and paste the items you want to have in your zipped folder.
Checking the Properties of a Folder
You can be able to check the properties of your folder.
- Right-click on the folder.
- Click on properties
You will be able to determine the type, location, size, size on disk, contains how many files and folders and when the folder was created.
You can also be able to assign attributes read-only and hidden. If you hide your folder, you won't be able to see it under windows explorer.
To un-hide your folder, go to windows explorer, click on tools, then folder options. On the dialogue box that appears click on view and then on advanced settings, click on the Show hidden files and folders radio button.
Click apply then okay. Advanced settings can also be applied here like sharing the folder on the network and you can also apply some customized settings on your folder.
Folder Creating Exercise
Learn How to Create Folders
1. Create the following folders on the desktop:-
2. Open Europe and create the following sub-folders:-
3. Open Africa and create the following:-
4. Open South Africa and create the following:-
5. Open Kenya and create the following:-
6. Copy folder England to Africa
7. Copy folder Cameroon to England
8. Rename folder Central province to Nyanza
9. Delete folder Johannesburg.
- Introduction to Computers
There are many people who still dont't know much about computers. This introduction to computers tutorials is intended for them, it can also be usefull to those who want to enhance their skills. For the beginner there is a lot to know about what is a
- Computer Base Unit or The Computer System Unit
The system unit is the box-like case that contains major computer’s electronic components (usually excluding the display, keyboard and mouse) which many people erroneously refer to the CPU.
- Introduction to Computer Basics
Computers are used almost everywhere we are living in this world. They are an important part of our lives. Yet there are people who don't know how to use them and that is why I have prepared this introduction to computer basics specifically for them.
Fact or fiction
Were you aware that you can not create a folder called con?
Don't let your work get scattered on your computer or desktop. Create several folders and save your work.
And if you want to know why you can't create a folder called con on windows, check this link >>>
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Patrick Kamau