- Internet & the Web
Crochet Blog Checklist for Newbies
Starting a New Crochet Blog
Making a crochet blog is a fun way to keep a record of your artistic pursuits. Here is a simple checklist you can use to help you set up your first blog. If your blog is simply a hobby blog you can choose one of the many free blogging platforms like Blogspot or Tumblr. If you will be using your blog to earn an income you’ll want to invest in your own hosted blog.
Although this checklist won’t teach you the details of how to blog it will get you set up quickly. As you complete each task just check it off the list. If you need more detailed instructions on how to write blog posts you can do a search for tutorials online.
Are You a Business or a Hobby?
Building Your Hobby Blog
- Buy Hosting – The first thing you need to do before anything else is to buy your hosting. This is your home on the web. If your purpose in blogging is to ultimately earn income having a paid site is worth it – you won’t need to worry about waking up one day to find your blog deleted by a spam bot.
- Buy Domain name – Along with hosting you will need to buy a domain name. You need one that is short and sweet but also one that is relevant to your blog. Choose a dot com rather than a dot net or other underused extension.
- Install Word Press – To install Word Press on Cpanel just visit your Fatastico or simple scripts section. If you don’t want a static homepage just install it on the top directory. Most hosting companies will do this part for you.
- Add Your Header – Most likely you won’t want the default header so hire someone to make a personalized blog header for you. Better yet, use a free software program like Gimp to make your own header.
- Add categories – Categories are used to organize your all your blog posts so your readers can find information faster. Choose keyword rich categories.
- Add tags – Tags are what you use to highlight the content in a specific blog post.
- Update Footer – Word Press has a default footer so you’ll want to update this with your name and copyright information.
- About me page – One of the first pages you will need to add to your blog is a page that explains what your blog is about. This is also the page where you get to introduce yourself to your readers.
- Contact page – Another important page to have on your blog is a contact page. You want an easy way for your readers to get a hold of you. In WordPress this can be done easily with a plugin.
- Add a post – Finally you need to write your first blog post. Be sure you delete the default comment and post from WordPress. You can even schedule a few posts for the future as well.
- Spread the word – Now, let your friends now. You can send out a tweet letting your followers know you have a new blog. Put the address in your email signature so every time you send an email you are sharing your blog.
Make Money Blogging
Now That You Have a Blog, What's Next
Using this Crochet blog checklist will get you up and running online in no time. You will have your own hosted blog with a domain name as well as one or two blog posts ready to share with the world. Keep blogging daily or at least once a week to give your readers something to look forward to.