- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets
Does my HP Printer Support Airprint?
What is AirPrint?
AirPrint is a brand new protocol introduced by Apple that allows all iOS devices (after 4.2) to print directly to a printer (both wired and wireless). These devices don't allow for many options, but the convenience and simplicity outweigh any downsides.
HP has a vast lineup of printers, but which ones support AirPrint?
Since AirPrint was announced, many manufacturers (including HP) have begun implementing AirPrint technology in their printers. Unfortunately, the only manufacturer that has included limited support for AirPrint printers is HP. If you're looking to upgrade your printer to support AirPrint, check out the list below to see which printers have a firmware update. If your printer is not on the list, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Printers that can be upgraded to support AirPrint
- HP LaserJet P1102w Printer
- HP LaserJet P1606dn Printer
- HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer
- HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1213nf MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1214nfh MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1216nfh MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw MFP
If your printer is on this list, visit HP.com and get the file to upgrade your printer.
What if my printer isn't on the list?
If you're printer doesn't support AirPrint natively and there are no current upgrades available to enable this feature, you've got two options.
1. Purchase a new printer from using an AirPrint printers buyers guide to get the exact printer that will fit your needs. HP offers a solid lineup of printers that support this feature, as well as many other neat features. Perhaps you need an inkjet or laser printer that prints on both sides. Perhaps a color laserjet all-in-one is what your office is looking for. You could also get an inexpensive small black and white printer.
2. Connect your existing printer to a computer and install a software utility to enable AirPrint for printers that do not support this protocol natively. The downside is that you'll need to keep the computer on at all times, but you won't need to purchase any new equipment to use this feature.