- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets
Finding Your Print Drivers
You don't really need that much to find a printer driver online anymore. Printer companies make it rather simple to search through their items and find the model of your printer. They include all software and drivers that have been available for that printer.
You will need.
- Internet connected computer
- Printer Manufacturer Name
- Printer Model Number
- Computer Operating system
- Version of operating system ie. 32bit or 64bit.
Today's example will be the LEXMARK x264dn. Although the DN at the end of the printer just determines the functions this printer has and are not needed for the search. This is different for each company.
Open a page on your internet explorer. (Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or browser of choice.)
- Search Your printer Manufacturers name With Support. Ex. Lexmark Support. (Sometimes you may have to add printer Ex. HP Printer Support)
- Examine the Google search results usually you want to choose the first result under the adds. Check Image two for an example See the highlighted Lexmark Result in Purple.
- Click the link applicable to you.
Now that you are at the manufacturers page you will want to find the driver search page.
- Find a Link Heading that says Support.
- Find a Sub-Heading that says Downloads, ( Driver Downloads, Second option Software Downloads)( You may also find that you can just find a Heading called Downloads.)
- Click That Link.
Next you will want to search for your printer.
- Enter Your Printer Model in the Top Field ( It will most likely give lists as you type)
- Enter your Operating system in the Respective Field
- Enter Your Operating System Version in the Respective Field
- Choose Language
- Hit Submit.
Downloads Page, Drivers Search
Now it is time to sift through the rubbish
Since they include every piece of software, and every driver they have released for your printer you have quite a few choices, and sometimes it is hard to select the right choice.
- Administrative Packages are usually the way to go if you are not sure. They have all the content you need to set up your printer, plus some, but its better to have more in this situation than installing several packages you don't want, and your printer still not working.
- For those of you who only have a printer, Not a printer scanner combo. Try the Plain Print Driver. This will allow printing but nothing else.
Select Your Package
- Click Download.
Finding Download, Downloading.
Congratulations you now have your printer driver from your manufacturers site.
For instructions on how to install the printer refer to my How-To .
This gives examples of installs with, and without a CD.
Thank you for reading.