Flashing Motorola Razr V3
Debranding Motorola Razr:
The following guide will depict the procedure to flashing custom firmware onto a Motorola Razr V3. This will remove all stock-carrier customizations and revert to phone to generic, unbranded, custom firmware. The benefits in doing so involve gaining access to the many upgrades and enhancements of running custom firmware. This tutorial deals specifically with the V3 Razr model and not any of it's variants.
In order to prepare for flashing your unit you must download and install the following programs:
- Motorola USB drivers - Windows drivers to configure device for use with a computer
- Motrola Device Manager - Manufacturer service suite software
- RSD Lite flashing utility - Flashing console, used to flash the firmware files
- Flash&Backup flashing utility - Dual function flashing console, used to backup device. Backups are always recommended prior to flashing.(Unless otherwise required use only for backups and perform flashes via RSD)
- P2K Commander - Used to perform higher level customizations to the internal software
- Motorola Software Updater - Software update utiliity tool.
Confirm device drivers are correctly installed and your device is recognized accordingly by your workstation.
If you are attempting to flash your device and are being prompted that your phone is unable to initiate an install be sure to verify your bootloader appropriately. To check your bootloader statistics perform the following operation;
- Power off your device
- Hold (*) and (#) symbols simultaneously on your keypad while pressing 'Power'
- The phone will boot automatically to the loader screen
- Alternatively you may remove and reinsert your battery whilst holding both 'star' and 'pound' to boot to this screen
- To exit boot loader remove and reinsert your battery or power off
This procedure has been been tested with a V3 Razr R374 running Bootloader Version 07.D.0. Ensure that you will be flashing the correct firmware file for your software specifications and bootloader version. New loader versions such as 8.23 or 8.26 block certain credentials required to write to the firmware. There is a process in place to attempt downgrading the bootloader by downloading and flashing 07.D.0. If attempting to flash the BL it is recommended that you unlock the phone prior to performing this flash. Otherwise if you complete the downgrade the phone can be unlocked freely using a service tool called Motorola Unlocker. When performing an unlock via service tool you must downgrade the bootloader and then run the unlock from bootloader screen.
- Search for the following file and flash via RSD - R374_V3BL_07.D0.shx
- Search and install the following software - v2 bootloader downgrader
- Connect device and run downgrader.exe
Types Of Flash Files:
Fully stocked custom firwmare. Includes settings, software, and edits. (all-in-one)
This file includes the internal software portion of the device
This file includes carrier customizations and specifications for the device
Seem files include codings pertaing to the operating sytem. Through editing these specs you can configure the phone according to your requirements
It is important to note that it is always in best practice to unlock a device prior to committing to a firmware flash. Certain internal settings may be altered during and after the flashing process which may impact the capability to unlock the device at a later date.
You must first locate your chosen firmware file for the Motorola V3 that you wish to flash to your device. Generally an unbranded generic software will be titled in the following format: R374_G_0E.42.17R. For a custom firmware search 'Motorola custom Monster Pack' or MP. Once you have chosen your specified firmware download and extract the rar/zip file to your desktop. Your firmware file will the in the form of a .shx extension. Ensure that your downloaded file matches the software version displayed on your loader screen. Example: R374 or R4515. Confirm that your firmware file is compatible with your configured BL.
- Connect your device to computer via USB cable
- Open RSD Lite flashing utility
- Select your .shx flash file in the 'Filename' field
- Firmware specifications will appear under 'File Properties'
- A message will display on 'Line 1' of the flashing utility which will display 'Device Connected'
- You are now ready to proceed with firmware flash.
- Hit Start
- Once completed a message will display notifying you the process has finished.
- You may now disconnect your device and power cycle.
The process of seem editing involves making alterations to the infrastructure of your operating system. From the seem menu you can customize your software exactly to your specifications. This can include enabling hidden features, activating tweaks, configuring enhancements or provisioning features and capabilities not present in your carrier restricted stock software.
Although the process of editing seems can become more advanced this article will outline a simplified process anyone can use to configure their own tweaks within the mobile device O.S.
- Begin by downloading and extracting P2K Commander.
- Now connect your device and wait for recognition.
- Once you see your file system on the right hand side of the software navigate to Seem/Functions from the menu bar.
- Your list of available edits will appear. From here you can simply select apply the options compatible with your mobile device and hit 'Write Seems' to save your changes.
- For a partial list of available edits reference the screenshots included.