- Computers & Software»
- Computer Software
Free Microsoft Office for iPad, Mac, Windows, and Android
Microsoft Office is a pretty nice office suite. It's been around for a long time, has a large userbase, and plenty of features. One of the biggest turn-offs, however, is the price tag; for the most part, it costs over $100. Fortunately an amazing service from the company OnLive, the pioneer of console-class cloud gaming, has an amazing service titled OnLive Desktop. OnLive Desktop is an isolated cloud-based Windows 7 PC with Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, and Word included for free. It is available as an app for iPads and Android tablets over 7", and with a few tricks it can be used perfectly on your Mac or Windows PC too.
- An iPad, Mac, Windows PC (XP, Vista, or 7), or Android tablet (7" or greater)
- An OnLive account, which you can sign up for here
- A decent internet connection
It only takes a few short steps to have Microsoft Office on your iPad:
- Search for "OnLive Desktop" in the App Store
- Download and install
- Sign in, and done!
Mac and Windows Instructions
Update: Video created! scroll to the bottom of the list of steps to watch it!
Note that the following instructions were written with a Windows machine in mind, but the process should be the same either way.
- Download Bluestacks, a program for running Android on a PC, here for Windows and here for Mac
- Install using the default options
- Click the blue magnifying glass search icon in the upper-right corner
- Type in "browser" and click Find
- Click Install next to Dolphin Browser Mini
- Click My Apps in the top left corner
- Click Dolphin Browser Mini
- Click Next through all of the default options, and when it asks you for your email address click Skip
- In the URL field, type in http://goo.gl/L0DX0 (those are zeroes)
- Click OK on the save as screen
- Wait a few seconds for the download to finish, then click and drag from the statusbar at the top
- click com.onlive.desktop-104621.apk
- Click Install, then Open
- Sign in, and enjoy!
To reopen at any time, simply reopen Bluestacks, click My Apps, and then click OnLive Desktop.
- Open up Google Play
- Search for "Onlive Desktop"
- Download, install, and have fun!
Method 2(if you don't have Google Play or it doesn't show up):
- Open up Settings
- Go to Security and check Unknown Sources (may differ in location depending on OS version)
- Go here from a browser on the device
- Pull down Notification drawer and tap it when the download finishes
- Install, and you're done!
FREE?!?!? How can that be legal?
Onlive: has a license from Microsoft to offer this service.
Bluestacks: based on the free and open source Android operating system
OnLive Desktop (the download): Is a free download from Google Play
I had a problem!
Comment below and I'll be happy to help you :)
Where are the files saved?
The files are saved to and accessible anywhere from files.onlive.com