- Internet & the Web»
- Social Networking
Google Plus Tips - Getting Noticed via Your Hovercard
Google Plus is a rapidly growing, easy to use social network, but as more and more people are joining every day, how do you get noticed?
+Rick Eliason has created a series of tips that I am summarizing here to help you get the most out of Google Plus, and the first one is all about creating a 'Hovercard' that stands out. Find out more below.
Who is this article on hovercards in Google Plus for?
- People that want to get noticed on the social network
- People that want to bring more visibility and interest to their profile
What are the benefits of this article?
- Learn how to create a great hovercard
- Get notices, so people follow you and your posts
What is a hovercard?
A hovercard is the box that pops up when you hover over someone's name in Google Plus, it contains the following:
- A picture of the person
- Their profile page background picture
- Their 'Tagline'
- Where they work
- Their physical location
You can edit all of these things to make them more visually noticeable and appealing.
Why is a hovercard important?
People often make the decision on whether to follow someone based on what their hovercard says; it's often their first impression of you on the Google Plus network; for that reason, it's important to get it right.
Getting followed on Google Plus is good because it adds to your authority as someone who is active and shares good content; this in turn can translate to better search results.
How can you optimize your hovercard?
You can optimize your hovercard by editing the following:
- Your photograph - Try to pick an interesting photo, preferably one that you are smiling in! Here's a great article on Moz about how changing your profile picture can make a difference.
- Your Cover Photo - This is the image that shows up behind your photo and comes from your profile page; this is a great way to let people know about what you do and your content. Change it from the default Google one as quickly as possible and be creative
- Tagline - You have 40 or 50 characters here to express the first thing about yourself that you want people to read when they hover over your profile
- Location - Whereabouts are you physically located?
- Place of work / education - Where do you work or study?
How do you edit the hovercard?
Simple, just go to your profile in Google Plus - Google Plus > Profile and you can edit everything from there, either in the main section or in the 'About' section.